Ableton Live vs Fruity Loops - Ableton Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dj Maranello said:
It was Reason vs. Fl now its Live vs. Fl, what next lol, Fl Studio vs. your hands and pencils back in school when you banged beats on the lunch table? Fl is even stronger now with 8, especially with that Slicer X plug now, for you non fl users, it's gonna be a vst now too.
its actually a fairly accurate comparision. its about time people started comparing apples to apples

Guenon said:
This is an interesting detail, as the Live drum racks have been especially well-received and already seen as a very powerful drum sampling solution. Saying that it's "hands down" worse is a bit odd.

As always, use what suits you best. I just had to comment on this, as the drum racks have been such a mindbogglingly versatile addition to Live :)

ok, maybe theres something it does that FL doesnt that can make me retract that statement (and there probably is). Heres how i use the FPC:

it has 16 pads laid out (32 if you count Banks A and B), ableton's impulse has 8. within those pads i can layer as many sounds in them as I want, so my Pad on C3 key has 2-4 kicks inside, with sample each being editable. whenever i use live, Im only able to load one sample per pad, is there a way to do more?
also in the FPC, each pad can be routed to its own audio output in the main mixer simply clicking a button in each pad, didnt see this in Ableton or at least it wasnt laid out as well, again whats the procedure to do it with Impulse if possible?

If I didn't start with FL and didn't know it like the back of my hand already, Live would definatelly be my sequencer of choice.
mmmm well... actually not really. Renoise would be my first choice, but anyway... :D

That said, @ dmensah1: you are not restricted into solely using the plugins bundled with the program...

Last edited:
dmensah1 said:
didnt see this in Ableton or at least it wasnt laid out as well, again whats the procedure to do it with Impulse if possible?

Believe me, it's laid out well :D

I'm not talking about Impulse, I'm talking about drum racks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZxibDjs6tw

To answer your questions: everything you asked about is possible, the rack is designed specifically for drum manipulation. Each oneshot has its own, genuine, individual signal chain with sends. Layering is possible, and layers can contain more racks. You can nest, mix and match.

About the pad count: see 1:20 in the video ;)

Last edited:
Sqito said:
If I didn't start with FL and didn't know it like the back of my hand already, Live would definatelly be my sequencer of choice.
mmmm well... actually not really. Renoise would be my first choice, but anyway... :D

That said, @ dmensah1: you are not restricted into solely using the plugins bundled with the program...

of course im not...I own Sampletank 2.5 and Proteus X2 along with a few free ones, where'd you get the idea I feel that way?

dmensah1 said:
of course im not...I own Sampletank 2.5 and Proteus X2 along with a few free ones, where'd you get the idea I feel that way?
Because you were solely comparing Impulse to FPC (which are completelly different plugs) :)

Guenon said:
Believe me, it's laid out well :D

I'm not talking about Impulse, I'm talking about drum racks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZxibDjs6tw

To answer your questions: everything you asked about is possible, the rack is designed specifically for drum manipulation. Each oneshot has its own, genuine, individual signal chain with sends. Layering is possible, and layers can contain more racks. You can nest, mix and match.

About the pad count: see 1:20 in the video ;)

ahhhh I see what you mean now by Drum Racks! I wasnt aware of it because I'm using Live 6, that is a new feature in Live 7. I was comparing FPC to the impulse in my posts, but yeah that Drum Rack is pretty damn nice, especially the rex file support shown in the video. It would take a lil getting used to workflow wise but yeah, I dig it :cheers: thanks for that link im gonna download the version 7 demo now!

Sqito said:
Because you were solely comparing Impulse to FPC (which are completelly different plugs) :)

they are both used as a drum sampler in their respective program, IMO they are comparible.

Last edited:
BenL said:
I have FL but i dont like it.
Well then that's your preference and if anybody knocks you for such, then they're a buffoon.

I think the thread starter is talking apples & oranges though cause all the DAW's out there currently suffice in many ways. There's no one better than the next it's all preference.

dmensah1 said:
they are both used as a drum sampler in their respective program, IMO they are comparible.
FM7(8) and Sytrus are both FM synths but actually not closely comparable to each other.

Sqito said:
FM7(8) and Sytrus are both FM synths but actually not closely comparable to each other.

and I agree, problem is Im talking about SAMPLE PLAYBACK devices and not SYNTHESIZERS where sound varies greatly by product.

I'm also talking about what each RESPECTIVE PROGRAM would use for the task at hand, in this case drum sampling, thats what Impulse (and now also Drum Rack) was made for, thats what the FPC was made for. This conversation is done LMAO, time to mess with the Drum Rack now :victory:

I just got Live 7, worked with fl studio before I switched over. Live is for the creative minds. Fl studio doesn't compare to live intuitive work flow Live is light years ahead of fl studio and I've only been using it for a week..

If I would have the choice again with what to start, knowing what I know today, I would probably have picked up Live, too. But actually for the mere reason not to need (or for not to feel the need) to constantly correct stuff people say based on their somehow twisted and mislead view/opinion of FL.
It is definatelly really nice and has stuff (e.g. who would have have thought it: live capabilities) FL doesn't have, but come on..... "lightyears ahead"? lol

Last edited:
I beg to differ about Ableton not being like the top industry sequencers (PT,, Cubase and Logic).

Ableton has 2 views. One is the live view that Ableton is known for. The other is the session view which resembles a traditional sequencer. So i disagree that ableton is not good for beginners who want to be introduced to proper sequencers.

For me, what makes live amazing is the time warp feature that allows any audio to sinc up to each other. It makes life so much easier.

FYI: I use Cubase and Ableton.

biggrome said:
FL Studio = Hyundai
You mean like that one?

hyundai_concept.jpg

or that one?

Hyundai.jpg

no objection. :D

Last edited:
dmi_x33 said:
I beg to differ about Ableton not being like the top industry sequencers (PT,, Cubase and Logic).

Ableton has 2 views. One is the live view that Ableton is known for. The other is the session view which resembles a traditional sequencer. So i disagree that ableton is not good for beginners who want to be introduced to proper sequencers.

Well actually, Session view is the one Live is known for, with all the grids of clips, ARRANGEMENT view is the one set out like normal sequencers. But, if live didn't have session view, i wouldnt use it - the arrangement is kind of crap, like the Reason sequencer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back