Ableton Live vs Fruity Loops - Ableton Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big J Beats said:
would you not agree that the only reason dude said he thought live was better was for the same feature fl was using years before ableton...

Not really, no.

Big J Beats said:
its all preference

Of course :)

Big J Beats said:
i don't see how his personal comfort level has anything to do with what software is better

It's got everything to do with it. There is no overall "better software", only better tools for certain kinds of tasks, for certain kinds of people and their working methods. If you're comfortable doing your thing with a particular tool, hey, it's made for you.

Last edited:
Guenon said:
Not really, no.

Of course :)

It's got everything to do with it. There is no overall "better software", only better tools for certain kinds of tasks, for certain kinds of people and their working methods. If you're comfortable doing your thing with a particular tool, hey, it's made for you.

thats basically what i said earlier... but thanx for saying it differently so you would understand better...

...you should read dudes original thread if you don't agree cause im starting to think you don't even know what you're talking about...

"Mambo stole the dog fish to the banana patch"
-Steve Martin, on how to teach kids to talk wrong.

Sqito said:
It should be a slogan on future FL ads: "The sequencer even your girl can handle" or something similar. :D
People often confuse 'user friendliness' with 'not pro enoughness'. That's why FL has the reputation it has.

The more confuse, overpriced and complicated, the more "Pros" will consider it as a "worth looking for" tool.

.....Facts. try to comply. ;)

AMEN!!!

actually, if you talk about composing and beatmaking, FL studio has 2-3 times more feature than any other DAW sorry that's a fact

anybody who ever dissed FL couldn't say any other than "i don't like it" or "look ****" or "sounds ****" which is dumb

a lotta head told me to switch to cubase but I still have no reason to change to that
Cubase don't have the half of FL's feature if we talking about composing.

I used Ableton but that's a dumb stuff compared to FL. Though, if it comes with good sounds then I agree that.

FL has FPC, EDISON, Slicer, Dashboard, Directwave....

If I ever switch from FL that'll mean I copped an MPC and a Motif.

FL is only dissed by people who think they are more pro if they use a soft that looks pro.
FL's design is about fun, this is why it has that "beginner" label

Last edited by a moderator:
Straight said:
I used Ableton but that's a dumb stuff compared to FL. Though, if it comes with good sounds then I agree that.

I tend to approach choosing a sequencer/multitracker differently. I don't care much about the bundled sounds, but the actual core working environment, routing possibilities, and indeed the workflow. Personally, I have always been attracted to solutions that feel (to me) like they're much more than the sum of their parts, learning to use environments which enable me to build some crazy experiments in.

As far as the current sequencer/multitracker packages go, Live has been a perfect fit for these kinds of preferences. FL Studio, in turn, is quite possibly the most underrated audio software package out today, and I have no doubts of its potential.

It just sounded somewhat humorous to imply Live ripping off FL (I still don't know where that really came from), as many of these things have been evolving far longer than the software packages in question have been around. I started out experimenting on music software written on non-graphical, non-mouse operated environments, so I've been around for a while to see that development, too :D

Sqito said:
People often confuse 'user friendliness' with 'not pro enoughness'.

This is very true.

From a general user interface design standpoint, I feel user friendliness can't really become "not pro enough" until it outright prevents you from doing something you should be able to do, for the sake of being "simple enough". This has been a major talking point when dealing with some particular operating system desktop environment designs :)

Last edited:
this thread ended up killing ableton live, i guess it doesn't win after all. FL STUDIO FOREVER!!!

Last edited:
DiaboliC said:
Live Sucks Balls Imo
You just jealous! :D
ableton%20wins.jpg

In the end, I think it's what setup works best for YOU. That's going to be different for everyone, and people will use what they know best. Am I right?

Saying better beats come out of one program than another seems kind of stupid. They're just tools, I'm guessing if Swizzy knew both programs equally as well, both beats made from each one would still sound roughly the same with his style.

Course, I use a motif and samples, so the entire software library thing doesn't apply to me. ;)

With that being said, I'm still on the Ableton learning curve.....I try and learn something new on it each day, eventually I'll get my brain wrapped around it.

Last edited:
blurredelevens said:
In the end, I think it's what setup works best for YOU. That's going to be different for everyone, and people will use what they know best. Am I right?

Saying better beats come out of one program than another seems kind of stupid. They're just tools, I'm guessing if Swizzy knew both programs equally as well, both beats made from each one would still sound roughly the same with his style.

Course, I use a motif and samples, so the entire software library thing doesn't apply to me. ;)

With that being said, I'm still on the Ableton learning curve.....I try and learn something new on it each day, eventually I'll get my brain wrapped around it.

You're 100% correct! It's about what's best for you!

Straight said:
actually, if you talk about composing and beatmaking, FL studio has 2-3 times more feature than any other DAW sorry that's a fact

anybody who ever dissed FL couldn't say any other than "i don't like it" or "look ****" or "sounds ****" which is dumb

a lotta head told me to switch to cubase but I still have no reason to change to that
Cubase don't have the half of FL's feature if we talking about composing.

FL has FPC, EDISON, Slicer, Dashboard, Directwave....

If I ever switch from FL that'll mean I copped an MPC and a Motif.

FL is only dissed by people who think they are more pro if they use a soft that looks pro.
FL's design is about fun, this is why it has that "beginner" label
i diss the fruit because 1 its fun to diss the fruit and 2 because i simply didn't enjoy my time with it. its very easy to use its just not fun for me. Theres a point wheer too many features imposes on creativity and I feel that FL has made things too easy for cats. Whats worse than that is it makes things easier for a lot of people who still make weak sh*t. FL is the one of the most powerful daws on the market tho. Without question its the most feature heavy. U would think it would do most of the work for u lol.

I use both. I got FL7 on the desktop, Ableton Live Lite on my laptop. Both are awesome pieces.

For remixes and basic sample fliping ideas, i roll with Ableton. its my "sketchpad". Full projects I use FL, im just more comfortable with the workflow and mixing in it is better, as is using/recording external midi. FL has a better drum sampler hands-down with the FPC. The multi-samplers are a tie. Simpler beats FL's stock sampler. Included synth/acoustic instruments I'd say swing in ableton's favor but I dont use em so it's moot in my case...

It was Reason vs. Fl now its Live vs. Fl, what next lol, Fl Studio vs. your hands and pencils back in school when you banged beats on the lunch table? Fl is even stronger now with 8, especially with that Slicer X plug now, for you non fl users, it's gonna be a vst now too.

Last edited by a moderator:
dmensah1 said:
FL has a better drum sampler hands-down with the FPC.

This is an interesting detail, as the Live drum racks have been especially well-received and already seen as a very powerful drum sampling solution. Saying that it's "hands down" worse is a bit odd.

As always, use what suits you best. I just had to comment on this, as the drum racks have been such a mindbogglingly versatile addition to Live :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back