ableton live session view

D

djsaam

i keep hearing about the ableton live session view. What is it and what's so special about it?

thanks

It's a bit hard to "get it" without trying it. Basically, it's just columns of clips/loops that you can trigger in various ways, with or without quantize, a row of clips at the same time or give the clips various properties to make them automatically change into another clip at a certain point. It's what gives Live it's name; you can practically play the clips like an instrument.

My more electronic stuff these days start from the session view 100% - I build a bunch of loops that sound good together, then hit record and jam out a rough structure with the clips - all this gets recorded into the "arrangement" (ie. Live's normal linear view), along with any realtime edits of effects or the clips themselves. It's simply a fun way of making music with the computer.

Even given my friend Krushing's excellent description, you really won't "get it" until you download the demo and play with it.

Then the light comes on, the wheels start spinning in your head becasue you relaize teh kind of power you have at your disposal ...

dammit, i hate when they beat me to the punch. for real though, you HAVE to try it in order to get it. it's a lot of fun with a midi controller, preferably a pad type controller. once you sequence a song like that, it's hard to go back to regular linear sequencing. atleast that's how i feel about it. hope this helps.
LevLove aka TampaRedd

It's kinda like an MPC, how you can change patterns on the fly but much more advanced than an MPC, because each track can trigger different clips (audio or midi) at different lengths.

Also recording into them can be fun because you can also loop performances on the fly (but you'd probably want to invest in a foot controller and a decent controller, Some people set these things up pretty intricately for mouseless control.)

It has some drawbacks compared to traditional sequencing:

1. Care must now be taken on making sure each clip length is desired length. I wish you could change multiple clip lengths simultaneously.

2. Transport is tricky when learning this. Forget traditional sequencing. This thing is different. Triggered armed clips always record. I don't always want to record. To play them you must play the whole scene first (Thats why you want a good controller setup).

3. Haven't found a good way to punch in/out on bad parts or for just modifying a part. Pretty simple to do in everything else (maybe I don't know what I'm doing though).

Its weird though. I have a love/hate relationship with the session view. I used to be a hardcore Sonar sequencer. I started using Live session view (didn't have a clue on what I was doing). After I found out some limitations on the session view I got pissed off with it and went back to Sonar. When I got to Sonar I got pissed off with it because I started to realize how restrictive Sonar was at not letting you arm tracks on the fly and randomly trigger clips at will.

Personally, i have written traditional songs with the session view (verse, chorus, verse etc.) and find it ok. However, the session view's strong point is experimetning with loops. I like to create 2 to 4 bar loops with my other sequencer host (EnergyXT) and save them in folders separated by BPMs. I drag these loops into the session view (set to "warped loop" in preferences) and let me tell you..... there are really cool happy accidents that can happen that way.
The best thing about the session view is it's workflow. Very user friendly so one can focus on creating as opposed to setting things up to be creative.

I LOVE ABLETON! Its such a great program for hip hop I am slowly moving away from reason and taking on ableton as i learn it...when i first learned about the midi clips i felt like i discovered gold in my backyard! Ok im done bragging on Ableton! Cant wait for 7!

Back