The Ableton Live Knowledge Club !

Let's not let this topic die yet.

I guess this isn't really ableton specific, but gonna share it anyway. When using vsts for drums I like to export them out as audio and put them into a drum rack before mixdown, and preferably before that even.
Allows me to work in drum rack which I'm much more comfortable with.

Haven't read through this for a while, so this might be in here
Make make a default Live set with midi/key-mappings, slap a limiter on master (just to ensure that you won't blow your speakers up due to some mishap), put up some generic sends with just a basic preset you can customize later
Saving as default is in the file/folder part of the options menu

my tip : add dblue glitch to your master channel, and have a few random settings to suprise the crowd here and there XD
really can cause lots of confusion and faces, but sometimes is very effective if your good at Programming Dblue.

my tip : add dblue glitch to your master channel, and have a few random settings to suprise the crowd here and there XD
really can cause lots of confusion and faces, but sometimes is very effective if your good at Programming Dblue.

omg thx for the vst. i'm using it now and it has some dope effects

---------- Post added at 02:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

An mpc style preset for chopping samples

Ableton Live 8: MPC Chopping & Slicing Preset - YouTube

Yooooo....A LOT of good tips in this thread...Big Rome came thru with the Scharz too!!!! That thing got me in awwwww....hahahah

¿Anybody know how i can select my MIDI channel? I don't know how can i select a channel to write MIDI in after i created another MIDI channel... In Reason or FL is easy (pictures) but i don't know how i can select that and it's a basic :(

Here, the pictures to explain better (erase space after H)

h ttp://i.imgur.com/TYoYy.png

h ttp://i.imgur.com/JrOyA.png

Thanks in advance :)

Select MIDI channel for what purpose? You have the "MIDI from..." & "MIDI to..." selectors for each track (note that you can hide/show the different controls of a track from the little icons on the right edge of the screen - the "IO" button hides/shows these).

Select MIDI channel for what purpose? You have the "MIDI from..." & "MIDI to..." selectors for each track (note that you can hide/show the different controls of a track from the little icons on the right edge of the screen - the "IO" button hides/shows these).

THANKS!!! i fixed that :)

Another question, how can i assign full release to all the pads in my drum rack? I know how to do that 1 by 1 but there are a way to do this more fast for sure... i tried to do it with macros but i couldn't...

pd: sorry for my english...

Last edited:
THANKS!!! i fixed that :)

Another question, how can i assign full release to all the pads in my drum rack? I know how to do that 1 by 1 but there are a way to do this more fast for sure... i tried to do it with macros but i couldn't...

pd: sorry for my english...

Right click on the parameter you want to apply to every pad and select apply to siblings. You can do this for sample volume, attack, release, etc.

Last edited:
might be a dumb question but how come when i put drums in the Drum Rack, it is noticeably quieter than when i put them on Impulse? i put the velocity levels the same on both, but with impulse, everything sounds noticeably stronger.

also, when putting a sample in simpler/sampler (especially 808 kicks), it plays back extremely quiet, unless i jack up the volume but then i'd be in the clipping zone.

might be a dumb question but how come when i put drums in the Drum Rack, it is noticeably quieter than when i put them on Impulse? i put the velocity levels the same on both, but with impulse, everything sounds noticeably stronger.

also, when putting a sample in simpler/sampler (especially 808 kicks), it plays back extremely quiet, unless i jack up the volume but then i'd be in the clipping zone.
I havent noticed this tbh, but i rarely use impulse. Are they peaking at different levels on the meger too?

If youre not talking about simpler in a drum rack, make sure you're playing the same note as it has chromatic playing.

On topic I just figured out something that ive been using programming drums lately.
Sometimes i have a hard time playing intense hat patterns on the pads.
On the other hand i find it much easier to 'beatbox' it out. Just using whatever noise i can.

So what i did were hooking up my mic, 'beatbox' the rhythm into live, extract grove from the audio file, and apply it to the hats which i drew in fully quantized. Works like a charm, and is a great way to introduce human feel if youre not the most steady on the pads.

I havent seen this anywhere before, so hopefully someone can use this.

I use Drum Racks like 99.9 percent of the time. Only reason I could see use of Impulse over Drum Racks is stretch and time. Saturation only has drive a drive parameter and just makes stuff louder...but I'm only talking drums. Miscellaneous one-shots are probably better controlled in Impulse.

Now Drum Racks being quieter? I think its because Drum Racks by default the volume is set to -12. Yeah impulse has +70.0 for a velocity value, but that's something completely different. For velocity think of the ratio of how hard you can mash a key/pad till it distorts or blows a speaker lol.

At first i didn't like the drums by default in Drum Racks being at -12, but I realized I always go back trying to make head room later on anyway for the mix so it kinda makes things easier in the future. You can always just select all your drums then change the volume amount to what you want and then right-click on the volume and go to "copy value to siblings". Better yet select a lot of drums and do what I just wrote, but save it as the default preset by right-clicking on the top of a Drum Rack sample window.

Hi all, I have an Ableton website as you can see from my sig. I'll post my current 'tip of the week' (which happens nothing like once a week!)Tip Of The Week... Right click on the track view selector to see a menu of the devices in an Instrument Rack. Click on a device in the list to go to it. can't post image yet Right click the Track View Selector to reveal the menucan't post image yetClick on the item in the list to unfold the rack and select the device

no idea what happened with these images

Attachments

• viewing_a_racks_device_list_med.png
    viewing_a_racks_device_list_med.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 63
  • viewing_a_racks_device_list.png
    viewing_a_racks_device_list.png
    62.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
All I can say is wow, I'm so thankful for this thread and everything it offers. I don't know how I overlooked this thread haha I'm a Ableton User myself. Question though: Why is it that the only type of Hip Hop tutorials out there for Ableton are all for sampling?

I understand that dubstep and other techno/electronic genre's are very easy and Ableton's style, but I feel there should be some staple tutorials for modern Hip Hop. There are plenty of complex styles of Hip Hop that Ableton can perform. I feel like there aren't really enough tutorials for Hip Hop!

I love Ableton simply because I stuck through with it and decided to learn and teach myself most of it's aspects and features. At the same time I find myself alone in Hip Hop production because everyone I know that makes my style of music uses Protools, FL, or Reason. I really like standing out as a Hip Hop Ableton producer too, but surely there are others right?

Again Thanks

-Milesg2g.com

How can I active the turntable drop effect or tape effect like I tried messing with the tempo but it doesnt sound right.

I just down loaded the trial version. Was going to go with Logic but funds dont look lik I can get a iMac right now....testing this now and its all new to me (old school AkaiS950 user here).....love all the help here and maybe with 9 coming out we can keep this alive.

Back