The Ableton Live Knowledge Club !

B

biggrome

Post useful ABLETON LIVE info in this thread...

Keep comments and thank you's to a minimum. Let's not have long drawn out "You are wrong!'s" or "There's another way to do that!'s". Hit the person on PM if you need to hash something out. BUT! Initial corrections of misinformation are welcome...

Some of the info can be general like my first entry...

- I think you should always render your VSTI melodies to an audio track just in case you delete the VSTI. That way a year from now you won't get a message saying that the VSTI is missing... this happens a lot if you're ever trying out freeware and make something but then find that you don't use it a lot and delete it.

- Did you know you can drag clips from Session View into Arrangement View... and avoid having to record the clips? Select the clip - press the Ctrl key - toggle to Arrangement View - drop the clip...

If I got something wrong... correct me...

I'm going to read about LIVE for the rest of the day...

Last edited by a moderator:
great idea for those that get busy with ableton shoutout to all the users. even though i don't use ableton. rock out and make good music. salute.

Is there a way to lower the sensitivity of the rotators in Ableton? It'd be cool to chop samples using the rotators on my MPD but right now the rotators in the DAW are to sensitive lol.

My advice at this point since I'm new to Ableton, is tweak, tweak, tweak until you make something different and sweet. I'm loving the panning options alot.

Shot out to Mr. Gibbs. I salute you back sir.

i posted this in reply to a question in another thread but i thought it might be useful here too. I explain how to chop a sample, have the sample play out without holding the pad and have the samples cut each other off. [other info at bottom of post]
heres how to do it, right out of the box, with no experience

hit ctrl+, (control or command (mac), comma, or go into edit preferences) to open preferences, click the midi tab hit on for the tabs on your specific midi controller. now look at lives device browser.click on one of the buttons labeled one two or three on top of a folder icon, these tabs allow you to search your hard disk. now locate the file you wish to chop.
double click the audio sample in lives browser. make sure the indicated tempo of the clip on the left of the waveform matches the global tempo, if it is not change the global tempo to match to hear the sample at the proper speed. now click on the waveform and hit ctrl+a to select all the warp markers ableton automatically put in (you can change this automatic placing of warp markers by going into preferences and unchecking the "auto warp long samples" in the "record, warp, launch" tab). then manually put your warp markers in where you would like to make slices. then right click somewhere on the waveform and hit slice to new midi track, when the dialog box appears hit OK, there is no need to change any settings.
Now the chops will appear on a drum rack in a separate MIDI channel. On the macro controls of the drum rack turn the release all the way up to 60 seconds. look to the left of the macro controls in the drum rack and click on the small circular button with 3 lines, the second button down, this opens your chains menu. then on the right side again new buttons will apear. Click on the i/o (in/out) button. now look where the area just opened. there will be a section that says choke. set each samples choke to one and now the samples will play without holding the pad down and will cut each other off.

Next arm that midi track with the slices and bang out those chops!!!!!!

and to answer bkimbriel, i think because you only have 127 bits or whatever of CC data per knob, you could not change this. correct me if im wrong.

And good advice biggrome. you could also freeze the track and save the session arrangement etc and its easier then bouncing the track

Last edited:
and to answer bkimbriel, i think because you only have 127 bits or whatever of CC data per knob, you could not change this. correct me if im wrong.

Yea, you're right. I thought about it and was like wait...damn it! lol. I'd love to chop using the knobs instead of using the warp. When I'm lazy I just do the auto mpc chop haha.

default setups speed workflow like i got drum rack presets mimicing how id work on the mpc so i can get don quickly

iv got another useful tip, open up live assign your transport master volume cue, tap tempo. return to arrangement, metronome on off, etc. then go into preferences, file folder tab and hit save at the top to make this the default live set.

Question: Chopping up a WARPED sample to Drum Rack, so it keeps the warped speed and pitch in relation to the new song tempo, and can be played from an MPC style pad controller?

Answer: I struggled with this one until I finally got how it's done. Normally, if you take an audio clip (even if it's Warped) and choose "Slice to new MIDI track", it loses the Warp (pitch, speed) info and just splits it as it is. This way it is usually not in the tempo of the song anymore.

1. Make up your mind about the tempo of the song and stick with it.
2. Warp the audio clip or sample to your liking (change algorithm to Complex for instance, and change pitch for example). Change Warp Markers if you need to.
3. FREEZE the clip. ('Freeze track').
4. FLATTEN the clip.
5. Then select 'Slice to new MIDI track', using your favorite slicing preset.
6. You should now be able to play the chopped sample

Example here: Download mp3

Question: Chopping up a WARPED sample to Drum Rack, so it keeps the warped speed and pitch in relation to the new song tempo, and can be played from an MPC style pad controller?

Answer: I struggled with this one until I finally got how it's done. Normally, if you take an audio clip (even if it's Warped) and choose "Slice to new MIDI track", it loses the Warp (pitch, speed) info and just splits it as it is. This way it is usually not in the tempo of the song anymore.

2. Warp the audio clip or sample to your liking (change algorithm to Complex for instance, and change pitch for example). Change Warp Markers if you need to.
4. FLATTEN the clip.

Example here: Download mp3
This is also possible by consolidating if I'm not mistaken
Right click the audio in arrangement view and consolidate

This is also possible by consolidating if I'm not mistaken
Right click the audio in arrangement view and consolidate

Slightly different from the freeze/flatten method in the sense that it only renders the audio clip (or several) with whatever alterations (edits, warp markers etc.) and leaves the possible effects on the track as they were.

Slightly different from the freeze/flatten method in the sense that it only renders the audio clip (or several) with whatever alterations (edits, warp markers etc.) and leaves the possible effects on the track as they were.

But can you play it on an Akai MPD or a Korg padKONTROL, if using this method instead?

My workflow in Ableton is usually like this: record a bunch of clips in Session View, copy and layer them into different sections of the song as Scenes, and then record the song in Arrangement View by triggering Clips and Scenes. Unconventional, maybe, but it just works. :)

Of course - it's just a merged clip. Freeze/flatten just works on the whole track level instead of an individual clip (or several).

4. FLATTEN the clip.

s

great tip!!

---------- Post added at 12:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

I love warping now, it really does take months and months of practice.

Back