The Ableton Live Knowledge Club !

My favorite discovery in Live is that you can 'overwrite' automation keypoints by holding SHIFT while you drag one point over other points. This saves me a LOT of clicking when I need to clean up recorded automation ;)

Sweet, didn't know this! Thanks.

Another thing I only recently discovered is that you actually CAN collect your channels in groups. This is great for keeping your projects manageble, but even better is that you can put effects on a group as well! No more messing around with sends (I never really figured those out in Live), just slap what you want on your entire group and you're ready to go.

Groups only came along with version 8, so it's a relatively new thing. I was a bit confused about the group automation lanes (or rather about finding them!) at first, though...but what have you not figured out about the sends? They're pretty straightforward, afaik.

I don't know, sends just don't seem to work the way I was used to from Reason. Applying 20% of a delay does not give me the same effect as adding a delay on 20% wet. But maybe I just forgot to set that send delay on 100% wet, I'll try again soon :P

I recently bought the ableton live guide from computer music, and learned a few tricks

instead of having to delete a warp marker if you misplaced it, you can shift+click and move the audio relative to the warp marker.

Nope, I still don't understand sends. When I put a default Pingpong Delay on a sound, feedback on 30% and the Dry/Wet on full, the sounds will start on the left and then immediately fade out. When I put that same delay on channel A of the Return channels and open up the Send completely on the sound it's like the sound gets layered on top of it, it also swells louder after the initial sound has stopped... What gives?

To keep it a bit on topic: I recently felt pretty stupid when I discovered that you can easily add favorites to Live's browser by clicking on the path at the top and selecting 'Bookmark Current Folder'. I was always trying to keep my most useful folders active in the three possible locations until I found that little nugget of wisdom :P

---------- Post added at 02:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Cool, I just tried that with the warp marker, nice one datsnork! (in case anyone else is a bit puzzled at first: you need to shift-click on the warp marker and then drag)

Last edited:
When i first started using live i'd hear alot about the warp engine.
Well, the results i got were horrible xD
Turns out I just had to change the warp settings (usually to complex or complex pro for songs)
I've only just realised the power of the warp engine, it's still amazing me...

We need some more tips in here, share the knowledge ppl

I just copped the nativekontrol apc-cl3 and tc3. F ing awsome. Takes a little bit to learn, but its freaking sick. Once you get it down. you will barley ever need to touch the mouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoP4IDyoq0A&feature=player_embedded#!

Marshall laws Dj template. Pay attention to dummy clips here. With some dummy clips set up on a beat repeat, you will never have stale sound drum loops again. They will come to life

http://marshall-law.co.nz/dj-template/

Another thing i have learned the hard way is, if you sample for instance a low quality mp3(happend to me on some thing i converted from youtube) Your transient markers will be off, and if you warp something you are going to want to use the shit option, and find those transients your self

Isotonik dj max for live device

http://vimeo.com/14260390

Live is the greatest

Last edited:
A great tip I picked up somewhere:
Instead of automating channel volume you can insert a utility plugin and automate the gain.
That way you can boost or decrease the overall volume without bothering with the automation straight from the mixing section.

Instead of automating channel volume you can insert a utility plugin and automate the gain.
That way you can boost or decrease the overall volume without bothering with the automation straight from the mixing section.

Good One !

---------- Post added 02-21-2011 at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was 02-09-2011 at 02:19 PM ----------

Here's a link - that I haven't had a chance to check out yet. It says hours of LIVE tutorials though.

http://ableton-live-tutorial.com/

Here's the LIVE manual online - if you get bored at work

http://www.scribd.com/doc/38637030/Ableton-Live-8-Manual

nice ill hafta try that out

Record your arpeggiator notes.

I haven't seen any tutorials on this. How many times have you placed a arpeggiator on your midi track and you like most of it, but theres some notes that just don't sound right. With this you can record all the notes and make your edits in the piano roll.

First you record your notes that you plan to arpeggiate.

Drop the arpeggiator on the midi track and adjust it to your liking.

Now create a new midi track and change the "midi from" drop down menu to the track with the arpeggiator on it. Select the "In" button in the monitor section.

Arm the track now hit record from the scene.

=========================================================================================

Retrograde (Reverse Midi) Notes

There is a way to flip your midi notes around that's not really known, because there isn't a one click option to just do it.

To reverse your midi notes just select the notes you want reversed and right-click on a selected note then choose "stretch notes".

Now you should end up with two markers, drag one of the markers over the other marker and your notes will be reversed.

Last edited:
Thats pretty friggin cool
Record your arpeggiator notes.

I haven't seen any tutorials on this. How many times have you placed a arpeggiator on your midi track and you like most of it, but theres some notes that just don't sound right. With this you can record all the notes and make your edits in the piano roll.

First you record your notes that you plan to arpeggiate.

Drop the arpeggiator on the midi track and adjust it to your liking.

Now create a new midi track and change the "midi from" drop down menu to the track with the arpeggiator on it. Select the "In" button in the monitor section.

Arm the track now hit record from the scene.

=========================================================================================

Retrograde (Reverse Midi) Notes

There is a way to flip your midi notes around that's not really known, because there isn't a one click option to just do it.

To reverse your midi notes just select the notes you want reversed and right-click on a selected note then choose "stretch notes".

Now you should end up with two markers, drag one of the markers over the other marker and your notes will be reversed.

New to Ableton Live 8, but not beatmaking! How do you get Ableton to stop doing this:
Screen%20shot%202011-03-29%20at%203.17.03%20PM.png
Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 3.16.55 PM.jpg Of course I played me beat on the one, but when I go to edit what was played it presents itself like this.

Screen shot 2011-03-29 at 3.16.55 PM.jpg

Hey guys,
WHat do you think about Live for trance production? I went to a friend's the other day, and he opened Logic with all these synths and instruments and whatnot. Now, I know Live has these too, but Logic seemed so straightforward and better-suited than Live (not in terms of quickness, but in terms of the instrumental package). Am I crazy, or is Live best suited for live playing and other things? I don't just want to ditch Live if I haven't used it to its full potential.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a logic user so I don't know, but live is perfect for mangling things. For genres like trance its all about your knowledge of synths, drums and how arrange like anything else...Your track will probably sound the same in whatever you use. I don't use live in a live way only for triggering clips in the session view. Id say from what I heard and various ustream and youtube videos Logic has good sampled instruments like orchestral stuff, but with synths Ableton has unique effects that you don't hear to often.

Follow Action. Plain and simple, USE IT! It's awesome for glitchy house and Porter Robinson style 'f*ck your face' crowd excitement music!

Live is fast and fun! I changed from logic to ableton! I buyed FabFilterProEq on it! Because eq is only audio unit that i dont like in Live! Love It

Back