Ableton live drum sequencer?

If you get max for live there are a load of step sequencers available. Otherwise you might have to download a third party vst to use.

If you get max for live there are a load of step sequencers available. Otherwise you might have to download a third party vst to use.

Hey I see something called "Mono Sequencer" in Max Live. Is there a way to get that by itself??

Hey I see something called "Mono Sequencer" in Max Live. Is there a way to get that by itself??

Not really, if you could get M4L devices to work without M4L, it'd be pretty bad for the business of trying to sell M4L :)

But could you elaborate a bit on what/why you want something else than the supremely versatile Drum Racks and/or Impulse and just using the piano roll? Wanting simplicity is a good enough reason for sure, of course. Just trying to make sure you're not asking for something you already have...

This is just if that guy doesn't just use the 1/16 snap setting on the piano roll.
That is solely for if you actually want to use a stepper for that :/

Not really, if you could get M4L devices to work without M4L, it'd be pretty bad for the business of trying to sell M4L :)

But could you elaborate a bit on what/why you want something else than the supremely versatile Drum Racks and/or Impulse and just using the piano roll? Wanting simplicity is a good enough reason for sure, of course. Just trying to make sure you're not asking for something you already have...

Honestly it helped me with my workflow. I would play my melody on the keys and then after go to the step sequencer 64 steps (redrum) and then I would layout some drums real quick just to get a rhythm going fast. Then later I go back into the piano roll and edit the drums more. Sometimes I would even start with a quick drum beat in the step sequencer and then play a melody on the keys and go back in the piano roll and edit the drums more later. I'm just so used to it I really love this way of making my music.

I checked out some hardware and I saw this...
What do you guys think?

Yeah, I've done loads of tracks with ReDrum back in the day...and I do understand the allure of a simple step seq. I've just kind of gotten used to just using the clip length & grid resolution to "make it simple" in the piano roll, without the need to reach out for a separate seq (except the one on the Analog Rytm, which is my main drum machine).

The BeatSteps are ok, and certainly nice for the relatively cheap price. I've heard there have been some bug issues with them, but I've only tried a friend's BS's (he has both the original & Pro). I'd probably look at the Arturia Spark as well if you need a simple drum sketching solution.

The default drum module in ableton is called Drum Rack, and it uses the programs built in sequencer... but it is more of an MPC layout than ReDrum.
it helped me go beyond what i was making in reason, (back then i was using ver4.0) and my drums became much more dynamic and groovy.

im not aware of the features that reason has these days, but i would assume it can do everything ableton can. i do miss the visual layout...always admired that about reason.

Back