Ableton Live CPU usage etc...

Endeffekt

Hey guys!
I am interested in learning to use Ableton but have read in many places that the CPU usage is terrible compared to DAW's. So many people use it, so im sure it's not all that bad.
The posts that I read about this was from years ago, I have not seen any recent information about the current state of Abletons CPU usage.
How is it nowadays?
I would like to not have to worry about performance issues with large projects.
Ableton looks really smooth to work with, so I really hope it will run well with my current pc specs.

i5 2500k
8gb ram
Windows 7

I am not sure if others pc specs are worth mentioning?

Thanks!!

it uses a little more than fl studio from what i've noticed using it. it has very easy track freezing/unfreezing though (unlike fl.)
these are the two i mainly use. i only use reaper for mixing/vocals so can't comment on that one.

From my experiences the DAW CPU meters are not very accurate to start with. I'd say get the demo and make yourself a stress test project consisting of chords and a couple CPU hog virtual instruments or some intensive effects. Not to mention some CPU's handle better than others despite the numbers in the i3/i5/i7 Intel lineup.

Its a more opinionated question based off experiences and how much you put into your project at that...how you use your resources and how conservative are you on them. I have a i3 laptop and I was satisfied for the most part it just had problems running a couple instances of Diva, Zebra and a few others. It mainly bothered me when trying mix when the fan is cooling fan gets loud...I got a desktop for intense projects that needed more, and also gaming lol...on the i7-4770k the processor goes up to like half in the DAW meter with about 9 or 10 instances of Diva using the stress test method I mentioned above...Looking at the OS CPU usage it sits at 12%. After throwing 3 more duplicate tracks of Diva in there its still at 12%. I think they're based off of two different ways of measuring honestly.

Back