Ableton Frequency FX cutoff

MAXY

Hey all you Ableton wizards out there, I have been trying to figure out the most economical way to go about creating a "Frequency cutoff" for audio effects racks (thinking of using this while DJing). Basically the concept is this: When I am playing a track I would like to be able to adjust what frequencies stay dry and what frequencies get the effects. at 0, everything would be affected and as you turn the macro you attenuate the signal (the higher you increase the macro the more dry signal there is from the lower frequencies upward).

I've tried using chains and reverse hi/lo pass mapped to the same macro but I'm just wondering if you guys have any advice on how to do this the cleanest way..cheers! :cheers:

You should use the multiband compressor (a few of them that is) as a frequency splitter. Turn off their compression stuff. I use this all the time, its the only way, out of the box, to split frequencies up for parallel effects.

Yeah I will have to mess with that. I am trying to map it to a chain selector..0=All frequencies being processed 1=all frequencies above the cutoff...I know I could split the frequencies with multiband dynamics but I am trying to figure best way to do it (maybe I am making it hard than It is).

I have been trying to do it with Auto filters and EQ's (and getting phase issues because of the filters sweeping over the top of each other). Ill look into the multiband dynamics because I want all of the frequencies to go to the same effects but I want to be able to control which frequencies ranges are dry ect.ect.

Last time I checked the multiband compressor is the only plugin in Live that can split a sound by frequency without wrecking it, so its your only option.

-You would stick a MBC in the track, then group it.
-Set its low:mid cut off to a macro control
-Duplicate the chain its in (this will duplicate the macro rigging too)
-change the settings in each of the MBC so one is soloing low band and the other muting the low band. Disable its compression to save CPU.

All being good you should be able to hear no difference in the audio when you add this... doing this with an EQ is imposible as far as I know. Unless theyve patched it... radically. I use this exact setup for loads of things.

-In each chain add the FX you want to the chain in the bands you want affected.

From here its all about how you want things controlled. The tidiest way is to use FX that have a dry:wet mix setting and macro that to a knob. Or you could add a third 'dry' chain that has nothing in it and set up the chain selector cross fade to fade between fully only the dry chain and fully only the wet chains... I guess.

CPU isnt really an issue now-a-days, I use far more complex channel chains than this without problems. And setting it up is only something you do once. So the main factor is organising macro controls, but frankly its never that complicated to automate everything individually (and this gives better control since a macro can only do simple linear mappings)... macros are really more for easy live performance.

This will give you a very tight crossover between frequencies. You might want a far more gentle cross-over in which cause the MBC won't work, you can't change its cross-over). You could use the EQ for that but you would sacrifice a faithful frequency split.

Ahh Thank you for the advice, I sat down for a couple of hours and got a pretty good setup with the multiband compressor. I have it setup now so that I have Dry/Wet for the 3 frequency bands which works just as well. I was definitely trying to make it harder than it needed to be haha

Back