Ableton or FL Studio for sampling

pthelionheart

Hi there, new to the forum and music production so go easy.

Have been messing around with Live for a month now and took the plunge yesterday and bought myself a Launchpad controller. I'm wanting to start sampling other songs or audio recordings and finding live a little overly complicated for what I'm wanting to do. I can't afford an MPC and so am wondering if i would be better getting FL Studio and using Edison to create my sample and then save them to wav format and import into my ableton sets? Or would i be better off carrying on with live for sampling?

My other slight gripe with live is that the preset playable instruments are awful sounding, is there any companies that sell add-ons with instruments. I don't wanna buy loops and samples as I enjoy playing the instruments. Could anyone recommend a suitable software package or point me in the right direction?

Thanks
P

What exactly are you finding complicated in Live? And what kind of instruments are you looking for? Someone will inevitably say Komplete 8, so I might as well say it now :)

Hi there, new to the forum and music production so go easy.

Have been messing around with Live for a month now and took the plunge yesterday and bought myself a Launchpad controller. I'm wanting to start sampling other songs or audio recordings and finding live a little overly complicated for what I'm wanting to do. I can't afford an MPC and so am wondering if i would be better getting FL Studio and using Edison to create my sample and then save them to wav format and import into my ableton sets? Or would i be better off carrying on with live for sampling?

My other slight gripe with live is that the preset playable instruments are awful sounding, is there any companies that sell add-ons with instruments. I don't wanna buy loops and samples as I enjoy playing the instruments. Could anyone recommend a suitable software package or point me in the right direction?

Thanks
P

Well, Live is known to be complicated, at least at first. It used to be very common that people would say, at first it didn't make sense, and then at some point it clicked for them. That explains why the tutorials are literally built right into the program. My suggestion for you is to learn as much as you can about working in the program because it sounds like you just need more info.

Specifically for sampling, FL Studio is of course known to be among the best options out there. But Live has it's own unique sampling related features. My favorite was the way you could automate the pitch of a sample with an automation curve. I couldn't reproduce that in other software but I really wish I could since I haven't used Live since version 6. It's difficult to really answer the question because some may think that it's not worth it to buy FL Studio and use Live also. You may not think the money is much of an issue. Personally, I feel very strongly about using a single program to do everything. Dig as much as you can out of Live before jumping onto FL or you may find yourself doing more and more jumping...like many of us have done. LOL Eventually, you may end up less productive.

Back