Ableton "cut itself" function and EQ Eight presets.

Yamaha616

Anyone know how to get that same function "cut itself" on an 808 like in FL, but on Ableton Live 9?

Also does anyone have any EQ Eight presets to get your 808s to really KNOCK in Ableton.

Thanks

In Live's Drum Rack, you can assign a "choke group" (if it isn't visible, press the little i/o button on the rack's left hand side to see them) to any number of pads; those with the same number will cut off each other.

Hey man thanks, but how do I do it if I'm just using midi notes for my 808s? I never use the rack for my drums I just write them in on the piano roll.

In most daws it's called either:
Polyphony
Cut or cut by/cut itself
Mono/retrigger

Recently realized ableton was interesting. Session view is redrum/ssl. Browser window in the same place.
Rack at the bottom instead of the top with a clean clear layout that makes sense.
Tempted to use bundled lite with Reason.

Hey man thanks, but how do I do it if I'm just using midi notes for my 808s? I never use the rack for my drums I just write them in on the piano roll.

Well, there's no such thing as "just MIDI notes for my 808s" - the 808 samples have to be loaded into some unit in order to be able to hear them. What exactly are you doing, in detail?

Oh okay I create a new midi track then open up "Sampler" on the midi track and then drop an 808 in there from one of my drum kits. Then I write the notes in on the piano roll.

You should read the ableton manual when you get the chance to, it gives you great insight on what ableton is capable of.
The module is called impulse or drum rack. same functionality as most daws and has a plethora of options in the window.

The workflow doesn't stray too far from the likes of cubase, studio one and reason.

Oh okay I create a new midi track then open up "Sampler" on the midi track and then drop an 808 in there from one of my drum kits. Then I write the notes in on the piano roll.

You can just turn the number of voices down to 1 from the Sampler's Filter/Global tab.

KonKossKang said:
The module is called impulse or drum rack.

Not really. There are three sample playback modules - Impulse, which is a traditional 8-slot "drum machine" type of thing; Simpler, which is a sampler for single samples and Sampler, which is a full-on, multi-zone, multi-sample...sampler. The Drum Rack is a container: any of the pads can contain pretty much anything (if you drag a sample on them, it loads a Simpler there by default): you can even drop another complete Drum Rack into them, they have their own send fx if needed and whatnot, but they're not "drum modules" as such.

Back