Ableton 8 sampler help

Fivepinz

-617Empire-
Whats up FP
I just switched from Reason to ableton (8) for sampling and need some help using the sampler. Ableton seems far more versatile for sampling not to mention audio support....here's my question.

In reason you could manipulate each sample's gate independently, can you do this with ableton? Ableton sampler is a beast but I like to drag out release of one cut more than the other a lot of the time, and all I see is the global volume control where you can drag release out, but then every sample will be affected. any advice or help would be awesome. thanks fp.

If not, could you use an mpk to lock onto two samplers at once and split the key range

(c1-C2 for sampler one) and C2+ for the rest? I guess then you could use one sampler for long release cuts and the other for non release.

The only other idea I had was to cut the standard samples independently and add dead audio time to their end point so that the global release would only alter the ones intended to drag out. :mad:should have learned ableton earlier! thanks fp!

There a few ways you can do it
I think you maybe using the simpler instead of the sampler
but you can do it in both..You may need to make a rack for the simpler.
The sampler you should be able to do it with out one.
I think you need to setup zones in the sampler.Then you can set the envelopes for each sample. I don't use it much because I use Battery 3 instead . I use the sampler more for stuff from Puremagnetik

Thanks breal, I been glued to this post lol! Im definitely using sampler, and got different zones all set up and everything. Im def. gonna check out the envelope part, is that in the zone window? or part of the sampler?.. I used the volume envelope within the instrument view but that release will make all the samples drag out, cant get each one to drag at diff. levels yet, thanks

Last edited:
Look at pic
every sample has it only zone
Click some where like what's circled
then you can set the envelope for each
x4red4.png

thanks Breal, lemme know what type of samples u like to flip, ill send a few gems and hopefully u havent heard em b4.

ok, just re-read your last post, sorry if I'm a little on this one. lol. I understand what your pic. is showing about setting the key range so just to make sure I have it right, the first sample in the diagram shows the sample is triggered by any key from A0 (as far as I can see on left) to F#1, but I thought that enveloping for release was separate than how the samples are mapped to keys. Again, I'm sorry if I'm slow on this one, and appreciate your help. thanks breal

Back