ableton

fpu22554

if i buy ableton or a daw like fruity loops...i was wondering where do i get the synth sounds basslines effects beats samples from...i'm trying to make progressive trance. do i have to buy a synthesizer and hook it up and make the samples?

Last edited:
Ableton and FL Studio both come with a lot of stuff for you to start with.
- I would suggest, however, you look into ReFX Nexus 2. That might suit your trancy needs and you don't have to get into too much sound design.
- loopmasters.com will help you with samples
- musicradar.com has a tech section that lists tons of different VSTs that'll allow you to understand what each one does before you go and buy them.

There's a lot of stuff out there, just make sure you do some research before buying anything. You don't have to buy any hardware to work a DAW - that stuff is just for the avid user who wants more functionality to their setup.

Live synths are very good if you buy the Suite version. Analog or even Operator can get you very very far. It wouldn't surprise me if most Ableton suite owners only used the sounds that come with Live for a long time because it is a very complete program. If you want to get something 3rd party though or if you plan to not buy the suite since it does cost quite a bit more look at some low cost vst plug ins. There are a lot of good free ones like Tal Uno or Tal Elec7ro which can produce great basslines. I'd pay money for Tal Elec7ro and its free.

Live's synths are good. The presets aren't - they're more like starting points and building blocks rather than insta-gratification-run-of-the-mill-trance-bliss like Nexus. Then again, I personally never understood people who don't want to touch all the knobs on their synths :)

Live Suite has a lot of great sounds to work with. I agree with Krush about the presets. A lot of them don't jump out at you like the presets in a hardware workstation or synth, but it's like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. If you learn a little bit about sound design, you can make some GREAT sounds with Live Suite. With Instrument Racks and Effects Racks and the included sounds, synths, and effects, you have all of the tools you need to make some great sounds.

Back