Chord MIDI Effect in Ableton Live

T

Tehnostorm

Hey, I just wanted to ask something about Chord MIDI effect in Ableton Live. Is it correct/possible to for example set the Scale in C Minor on Scale MIDI Effect and than go for example on internet piano chord charts and select for example C Dim7 and draw on Chord MIDI Effect on first knob +3, on second +6 and on third +9. And then when I press any key on MIDI keyboard it plays C Dim7? Or is it misconception? Please help me understand this, as I'm quite confused. Thanks very much!

Or would it play C Dim7? I'm confused... If on C it plays C Dim7 what would it play on E note (previously locked on C minor scale as I said)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure it will be relative to the key you press. The c may play c dim7 but an e would play something else, relative to the semi tones you set. I'm not very good with this so I am not even gonna try telling you which chord it would be.

Should be easy enough to try, right?

0-3-6-9 is the semitone spelling for a diminished 7th chord, sometimes shown as chordName[sup]o[/sup]

if you convert it to read 1-b3-b5-bb7, it becomes clearer
- some wags have been trolling the internet for more than 3 decades with the assertion that the chord should be spelt 1-b3-b5-6 making it a m6b5 chord instead, not true without a compelling context (for more search "Albert Silverman music theory" @ google - ftp://ftp.wu.ac.at/pub/earlym-l/mirror/ftp.gmd.de/lists/silverfaq/sil1.txt is a summary FAQ)

the chord will be a dim 7 chord based on the key pressed

there are only 3 variants of the diminished 7th chord as every other version is an inversion of these three

C[sup]o[/sup]C-Eb-Gb-BbbD#[sup]o[/sup]D#-F#-A-CEb[sup]o[/sup]Eb-Gb-Bbb-DbbF#[sup]o[/sup]F#-A-C-EbGb[sup]o[/sup]Gb-Bbb-Dbb-FbbA[sup]o[/sup]A-C-Eb-Gb
C#[sup]o[/sup]C#-E-G-BbDb[sup]o[/sup]Db-Fb-Abb-CbbE[sup]o[/sup]E-G-Bb-DbG[sup]o[/sup]G-Bb-Db-FbA#[sup]o[/sup]A#-C#-E-GBb[sup]o[/sup]Bb-Db-Fb-Abb
D[sup]o[/sup]D-F-Ab-CbF[sup]o[/sup]F-Ab-Cb-EbbG#[sup]o[/sup]G#-B-D-FAb[sup]o[/sup]Ab-Cb-Ebb-Gbb B[sup]o[/sup] B-D-F-Ab

note that

A# = Bb
B# = C
Cb = B
C# = Db
D# = Eb
E# = F
Fb = E
F# = Gb
G# = Ab

Bbb = A
Dbb = C