CHOICE DAWs

ZEKE!!!

Hello,everyone. Could you please share with me what DAWs in your opinion are best for what type genres?(Example;Ableton for Hip-Hop etc)

tried so many daws. doesn't matter but there's youtube vids for all of em if interested.
Psycle
reason
renoise
studio one
cubase
ableton
reaper
lmms
podium
caustic
flstudio

I'm not sure this exercise will be of any use - at best it only serves to box yourself in, thinking other options are worse for a certain genre (which is unlikely). The answers you'll get are likely to be either:

"DAW X!" ...without an associated genre, because they didn't read the question properly and only came to tell you what they use.

"DAW X FOR GENRE X!" ...without any actual explanation, besides that they use that DAW for making a certain genre.

"I'VE HEARD DAW X IS GREAT FOR GENRE X" - yup, you heard about it from your friends. Or read about it on a forum. You haven't used it.

"FEATURE X MAKES DAW X THE BEST EVER" - which might be true, in the subjective world of that commenter, but probably doesn't make the competition markedly worse, even if that one feature might be extra useful in some particular thing.

...and that's the gist of it: yes, some DAWs might have some features that can be useful in a certain type of workflow when working with a certain type of music. That doesn't make it "best for genre x" - they're just suited to a certain way of working and the users touting them have adapted to how that particular thing works. Yes, technology has shaped and shapes modern music-making, but modern DAWs are so vast in their feature sets that they're perfectly adaptable for all kinds of things.

That said, I've gone through Pro Tools, Cakewalk (and subsequently Sonar), Cubase, Reason, Reaper, Logic and a few others before settling on Ableton. I'm so used to it that it's at the time being the best for me. I've done everything from black metal to ambient to techno to country to noise to dub reggae on it.

i used Cubase for 7 years and i switched to Studio One 3 . But i think that it's not important which daw you use. It's all about your idea and knowlegde.

If you can invest the type of money necessary for the hardware.. Maschine 2.2 has increased my workflow immensely.
Along with the MK2, and a midi keyboard controller, i've been able to enhance the speed for which I compose.

But honestly each DAW is the same, but different. They can all be used to create any genre, in my opinion, as long as they are used correctly. Some are more efficient than others (Ex:Pro Tools) while some are more user-friendly (FLStudio)

The best DAW is the one you know how to use the best. I was taught how to use Logic Pro so with that initial set up I was able to to learn how to do pretty much anything on there. Stick me on FL studio however and I'm utterly clueless as to even know how to load a VST.

Last edited:
Ok so I've decided to purchase Fruity Loops. Which version do you guys recommend for myself. I would say I'm still a beginner. Should I go for the producer edition or the signature edition?

At the moment, I only got a desktop computer (not the greatest but also not the worst). I was looking into getting a audio interface, or should I just wait til I actually do some recording as I only intend to make beats at the moment. I was told to get a midi controller which I think I will be doing after I purchase my DAW.

As many times as this question is asked here...the best one is the one you stick to and actually know inside and out.
[The technical bits & the com-positional bits]

If It is your main daw, get producer edition or signature bundle. If it's not, try out fruity edition.

All depends on your personal workflow, for me ableton is really the program for me because I can drag in effects and plugins really fast and really focus on the production rather than searching for a reverb and trying to assign it to a certain channel for like 40 seconds.

In order of preference, I use the following DAWs for primarily mid 90-ish/early 00's era R&B, Neo-Soul and Gospel music:

1) Magix Samplitude Pro X3 Suite
2) MOTU Digital Perfomer 9
3) PreSonus Studio One 3 Professional

Although all of the aforementioned DAWs can handle any genre of music, they probably would not be my first choice for EDM and Hip-Hop music, which are the most prevalent music genres of users on this site, or projects that are heavily MIDI dominant.

However, as a person who records a lot of live, non-MIDI instruments (guitar, bass, drums/percussion and brass) and vocal tracks, the stated DAWs truly enhance my workflow, in the studio, for recording, mixing and mastering. YMMV, however.

Last edited:
For me I'll say:
Reason
Studio One.
FL Studio
Reaper
Ableton
Protools in this exact order after trying a few dozen daws over the years.

Huge list of DAWs here for download and trial:

RockIn-Depth FREEWARE VST & AUDIO SAMPLE Collection (on the VST Host page)

I'm no web designer but I made it easy enough for anyone to navigate and download. Check out the Audio Sample 2 page at the bottom for info on becoming an affiliate with The Loop Loft. Earn commission by promoting their sample libraries

And our online flyer with massive discounts on Pro VST software and sample packs:

RockIn-Depth Audio software flyer

Back