changing pitch of sample but maintaining original speed in FL

brode134

I thought you could do this in directwave but i cant figure it out....

I want to place a single sample across the keys of my midi keyboard and change to a different pitch with each key but maintain the original speed of the sample.

when i place the sample in directwave i can change the pitch with each key but the speed changes with it.

Last edited:
There's an instrument called the "Audioclip". It looks like the "sampler" but has a timestretch/pitch function built in. You have to slide the clip into your sequencer view where it will look like a recorded audio clip i9n a DAW like Pro Tools. Then, inside the "Audioclip" cell, you can adjust pitch while keeping the time of the sample aligned with the tempo of the song you are working in.

I'll see if I can find a tutorial walkthrough on what I'm talking about. Way easier than it sounds typed out.

There's an instrument called the "Audioclip". It looks like the "sampler" but has a timestretch/pitch function built in. You have to slide the clip into your sequencer view where it will look like a recorded audio clip i9n a DAW like Pro Tools. Then, inside the "Audioclip" cell, you can adjust pitch while keeping the time of the sample aligned with the tempo of the song you are working in.

I'll see if I can find a tutorial walkthrough on what I'm talking about. Way easier than it sounds typed out.

yeah i know what u mean by audioclip, but its basically the same thing as the sampler with a couple different tabs.

i also know what you mean by the sequencer view and all that... but what do you mean by "inside the audioclip cell". so you have the audioclip wave clip on the playlist (if im following you correctly) and then what?... i can change the pitch with the midi keyboard but the speed changes with it like its supposed to.

Last edited:
I'm not looking at FL, so i may be missing a step or remembering wrong, but I'm pretty sure once you have it set to the tempo of the song you can go up and down the keys and it still plays on time at different pitches. Couldn't find a tut, so i may be wrong.

I've been on a Mac a while now and haven't used FL in a second, but I used to know how to do this, and I'm sure it's somewhere in the knobs in the audioclip once you setup the timestretch. Hopefully another member can chime in.

I used to do this all the time making sampled trap beats. You hit the next key and the whole sample pitches up, but still stays on time.

Last edited:
No, that just tell you the original BPM if I remember correctly. I apologize for not being able to help more, I'm looking for vids and can find nothing. I have songs I've done this on in FL and I'm absolutely sure it's the audio clip, but now I'm thinking maybe the sampler if you can set it to stretch the sample to tempo.

EDIT:

Sampler Channel

My bad, it is the sampler channel(not audioclip)Turn the timestretch on on the sampler instead of audioclip.

Read "5." on that page I linked, it talks about timestretching in the sampler. I do remember if you do it wrong you end up with the same pitch on every key, but there is a way to set it up as you described. Done it tones of times. It's about setting up the timestretch correctly. I'm thinking it's the "tonal" setting. Still going from memory though. Sorry I messed you up.

Last edited:
yeah ive been been screwing around with that too.... nothin.
i went thru every single time stretch setting in the sampler/audio clip (im convinced they're the same), including the tonal setting. none of the settings do what i want... i think all of em but one stayed the same picth on all keys. the one that didnt changed the speed with the pitch.

---------- Post added 07-13-2013 at 07:03 PM ---------- Previous post was 06-05-2013 at 11:33 PM ----------

bump...

Back