Can you up old mac versions

Yes, of course you can - depending a bit on the hardware. For example the old G5s aren't upgradeable past 10.5...but basically all the Intel-based machines are.

OH, Mac OSX.5 - The only limitation in upgrading is having to pay for the next version up: I'm still running macs at OS6.7, 7.n, 8.n, 9.n and X.n; I have several much older macs including a classic and an SE as well as a few power mac related machines and bondi blue imac and a g5 (the sins of being a computer teacher and software developer as well as running older versions of sw so that Ic an access old, old, old arrangements and compositions) :)

Last edited:
ok well mines 10.5 I dont know if will be able to? haha so many macs, this some kind of apple tree in your studio? full of nutritious byte sized resources

What kind of Mac? Exact specs, not just "oh it's a macbook".

But as said, unless it's an old PowerPC-based one, you probably can upgrade. Whether or not it's worth it is another thing...

The hardware specs - year, model, processor - something to identify which version you have out of the about 10 possible variations that have been released over the years. You already said you're using 10.5.

Well, they're all Intel versions...but the age would mean that you can go to either Lion (10.7) or the current Mountain Lion (10.8). Anything from 2009 onwards can utilize the latest one for now - see this Wiki page for more info (the model specs table shows the "maximum operating system").

Back