Can anyone recommend a good brick wall filter?

Audiosy

Good morning folks, was wondering if anyone could recommend a true brick wall filter to cut away harmful low end frequencies, allot of the eq's I have roll off and don't fully cut.

Thankyou Chaps!

I don't think there are many of those, as they're not really ever needed, and they're - from what I've understood - really, really hard (maybe impossible) to code/build without sounding horrible. You can always stack 24dB filters to get a steeper slope, though.

I think I heard Deadmau5 talking about an engineers filter which was a brickwall filter but hadn't found many others, was wondering if anyone else was using one. Stacking filters seems like a good shout tho, will give it ago. Thanks for reply bro

Oh, ok. It's not "an engineer's filter" though - it's a plugin actually called EngineersFilter. Indeed does some very steep cuts & uses unusual filter topologies to achieve that, apparently (I'm on OSX so can't test it) - it's still not really a brickwall though, even if it practically does that. Some EQ plugins offer slopes as steep as 96dB, which is more or less the same.

There's a reason most filters aren't steeply sloping.

Very steep filters create big dips and boosts around the cutoff because they change the phase relationship of that wave. It's better to use a shallower filter where this effect is minimized.

Also, as it's already been said, you just don't need them. Those tiny quiet frequencies that get left over are never going to bother you.

Good morning folks, was wondering if anyone could recommend a true brick wall filter to cut away harmful low end frequencies, allot of the eq's I have roll off and don't fully cut.

Thankyou Chaps!

Instead of giving you reasons why you shouldn't use a brick-wall filter, here's an actual answer to your question: iZotope Ozone 7 Equalizer is what I use. Not sure if you're on PC or Mac, but it's available for both.

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 6.44.40 AM.png

Ozone 7 EQ, you can automate a band like a filter. It's brickwall is solid.

Last edited:
Back