BitWig

I freaking love it, actually bought it. I made the best song of my life like an hr ago. No joke.

I bought it too, getting it tomorrow in the mail (went with the boxed version, which was also cheaper than the download). It feels really intuitive to me, just "clicks" with me. It's similar to Live, but takes ideas from Cubase and Logic as well. Digging the tabbed projects especially (and that you can drag and drop between them). I had some trouble getting it to see my MIDI keyboard, but that worked eventually. For a version 1.0, it's in a good shape.

Yeah I got the demo and really like it. The piano roll is good aswel, much better than Live but no piano roll will ever compare to FL Studio imo

The only downside of new DAWs is that I spend more time on learning new software than on making music. :) Still using Renoise as my main instrument (and learning it still!), and then there are Reaper, FL Studio and now Bitwig. Ah well!

Not sure but I presume its the same as ableton so you would have to drop it in a sampler, you should download the demo and try it out. Personally after using it for a little bit now its far from a complete DAW, no track grouping is a major downside. Supposedly they will bring a lot of those features in the 2.0 release but I think its extremely unprofessional to beta test the software for 2 years and still manage to leave out core functionality especially seeing as they basically stole their whole design from ableton so they would have saved a lot of time there. It might be great in the future but for right now I reccomend people to stick with whatever DAW you are using

I think ill wait to 1.5, 2.0 or something like that...Its really buggy and things that are vital are missing for me.

Instruments that are multi-timbral like kontakt you cant route the output to say 3/4, 5/6, 7/8
that alone is enough.

It only has 1 stereo output so say if you have a set of plugins that are meant for mono 1 channel...nope cant do it. I guess in that respect Live cant do it neither.

You can't even route the out's on Drum Machine like Drum Racks on live. I'm not trying to compare the two really they're two different daws, but thats a shortcoming.

I don't really like the fact that all the waveforms display as if it was a mono track when its stereo.

Control surfaces and Midi controllers need to be expanded. In my case I have a Akai MPK61, Bitwig supplies you with support for the MPK25, MPK49, but no MPK61 or MPK88. I just think don't do it half way in that aspect. So I mean I can use the keys, but I don't get the extra transport controls till then when its updated.

I find it a task to record midi onto a clip in mix view...I still don't know how to get the precount before recording even though its checked to count in two bars. Should they're be an extra step to it?

It seems kinda rushed there is still more I could find wrong, but now with all that being said I think it will shape up to be great some of the features are unmatched...Midi and audio clips on the same track...and someone finally does that with a quick bounce. Triple monitor support. Bridged plugin hosting with sandboxing...Also maybe being Java based isnt that bad it could be like you fix one you fix them all for different OS platforms. It just needs time...they don't have a very big dev team.

Is your controller detected or did you need to add it manually?

I couldn't get the MPK to learn any of the knobs neither I kept it at MPK49 even though I have a 61, but I plugged in my BCF2000 the faders snapped into place...and I hit learn moved the knob and it worked fine...Maybe its because it has to be listed manually or detected. Try adding it as a generic controller...that worked for the MPK...sorry I was testing as I was writing.

Nah it's not automatically detected, I added it as a generic keyboard + 8 knobs, and I have manually changed all my knobs and faders CC messages on my keyboard, I can get the first 8 macros in Bitwig to map properly, but somehow it just doesn't want to detect my midi messages when using the midi learn on the VST itself.. this is a bit strange to me and I have no idea how to get around it.

I'm waiting for my BCR2000 to arrive and I know that it's supported.. but that's besides the point really..

Last edited:
You absolutely need to use a macro?
Im not to sure about learning from the Gui of the vst itself. I always preferred to find the parameters in the daw.

Id just do it from here. Searching is probably easier then right click the knob and hit learn.
QcfuCwr.png

Last edited:
Yeah those parameters won't do unless I manually map them. The only thing that actually automatically maps is the 8 macros there.

That doesn't actually work for me, because I have like 5 presets on my keyboard that I use to switch between different sections of many different VST's. So I have 1 for filters, 1 for envelopes, 1 for lfo's, 1 for effects etc.. and in Live I have those midi learnt within the VST itself. So I can just use preset number 1 for all of the vsts on the tracks that are currently selected, and then just change the track and control what ever parameters I have mapped on the next vst and so on.. So I have logically set my presets on my keyboard to control similar things on all my instruments, so I don't get massive confusion when I want to control for example LuSH-101 and Diva..

This mapping within Bitwig only lets me map a preset to those knobs, and they will move wherever I am clicking and editing and what not.. changing the preset on my keyboard only lets me do the same thing but with other buttons.. effectively removing 100's of parameters that I could easily browse through with just a few clicks on my Oxygen..

Last edited:
Im not to sure about learning from the Gui of the vst itself. I always preferred to find the parameters in the daw.

That's the whole thing. You can do lots more with it being mapped within the gui of the vst itself.. Because I don't have to switch presets when I switch vst's to control the same type of parameters.. as long as it's sending the same CC's to what ever parameters I choose to control, I can simply switch vst and control that with the same knobs, and change the preset on my keyboard to control a different section of the vst. And in Live, it's still very much automatable and you can just use the configure button to get the parameters in there if you want to see what's happening..

I have this set up so I can get a more hands on feel when manipulating the sounds.. not so much for automation as such.

This is ridiculous..

Last edited:
Allright i've been using betwig also since it came out, so i also have an akai mpk61 like you and was annoyed by the fact that i couldn't use the transport knobs on the mpk61 but after trying i've found out myself how you can map the transport knobs like play record and such, so i thought i share this with you cause i've seen you've been struggle in that area like a was.
so the trick is simple here is how you map the akai mpk61 to bitwig step by step it only take 2 steps really:

1- Press edit on the mpk61 you wiil see Set TRNS TRANSPORT then press enter
2-In Setting you can choose between MMC, MIDI, MMC/MIDI, CTRL choose CTRL and press enter.

3-Voilà, now your akai mpk61 transport controls work perfectly with Bitwig, at least it worked for me.

You're Welcome, hope it helps.

Greetings from Belgium.

Last edited:
Back