Best way to use Ableton Lite in two scenarios-for novice-newbie DAW user

klmartin

Option 1- Uninstall 3.75gb plug-ins on a 6gb laptop, add 2 gigs of RAM and use Lite on laptop 1

Option 2- Use Ableton Lite on the 6gb laptop with Studio One instead which does not use up any GB. Keep 3.75 plug ins on laptop 1

Option 3-Use older laptop the way it is with 4gb capacity now operating with 7.40gb RAM with one slot not capable of
upgrading to 8gb of RAM on laptop 2.

I must learn the DAW that intergrates seamlessly with my new Automap midi controller. This is my third midi controller. Do I need to understand controller numbers, what it does and what it is used for. Do I need to understand that
to map?

It sounds to me like you're talking interchangeably about hard disk space and RAM; well, they're not. You could have 100Gbs of plugins installed and it wouldn't matter whether or not you have 6 or 8Gbs of RAM - what the RAM amount does do is enable you to run more stuff at the same time.

What is your recommendation?

Option 1- Uninstall 3.75gb plug-ins on a 6gb laptop, add 2 gigs of RAM and use Lite on laptop 1

Option 2- Use Ableton Lite on the 6gb laptop with Studio One instead which does not use up any GB. Keep 3.75 plug ins on laptop 1

Option 3-Use older laptop the way it is with 4gb capacity now operating with 7.40gb RAM with one slot not capable of
upgrading to 8gb of RAM on laptop 2.

I must learn the DAW that intergrates seamlessly with my new Automap midi controller. This is my third midi controller. Do I need to understand controller numbers, what it does and what it is used for. Do I need to understand that
to map?

Option 1- Use Ableton Live Lite and Reason with Novation Impulse on (laptop 1)my AMD Quad 6GB system that currently has 3.75 of plug-ins for a total of 6.8GB (without adding 2 more gigs).
Option 2-Use Ableton Live Lite and Reason with Novation Impulse on (laptop 2)my Quad core i3 4GB system that has a total of 7.40 without any plug-ins.

Or could I just keep the drum plug-ins on laptop 1 and add Ableton Live Lite to laptop 2 because I have read that people use different DAWs for different purposes in one project. They may record with one and mix with another.

Last edited:
Back