best software for making beats for beginners ?

I've experimented with Ableton Live, FL Studio and Cubase.

Cubase was too complex for me so I gave up, wanted to switch from FL, went to Ableton and I was spending hours making a 30 second intro. With FL I can slap monstrous beat in minutes.

It all comes down to what you're comfortable with.

Check out this radio blast:
dl.dropbox.com/u/70052049/BEATZMAKER_ADVERTISEMENT_.mp3

The software is free and good for beginners

I would say fl studio so you can learn how to do drums properly. Beats are shit without good drums and its almost impossible to screw up the drums in fl studio. When you want to get serious...switch to reaper;)

Definitely Reason 5. I don't like the reason 6 anymore because it foreces you to have there ****ing "ssl mixer" which sucks in my opinion. I've landed my latest single for hot rod (g-unit artist) all made in reason 5. check out the making of that song in reason on my blog w w w . carlitosbeats . c o m

peace out !

I know people push what they are used to, and guilty as charged, but I've had Sonar X2a for a few months now, and still say, once you have it, you need nothing else, maybe a MIDI controller, but that's it! Comes with ProChannel Console Emulator, R-Mix, Breverb, TH2 amp sim, Matrix, Step-sequencer, all the Mastering plug-ins, that's the bonus, is that you don't really need to buy any plugins! About forgot, full versions of Rapture, and Dimension Pro, and still just scratching the surface, it's worth a look on Cakewalks website!
Once again just my opinion, but it's a poor mans Pro Tools, and you don't much, if anything! Good luck to all, and keep jammin'!

FL Studio is really easy to get started on, but I think Ableton is better once you get a feel for producing

i started with FL Studio 3 years ago. ive used it for a few hours a day at least, nearly every day since then. and i still learn new stuff. its great to start on but its an incredibly deep program as well. realistically just pick a DAW and stick with it. most people stay on what they start on but its to each his/her own really. youtube tutorials are a valuable resource as well. :)

Last edited:
CUBASE 7! has EVERYTHING except decent Drums.. get yourself cubasse 7 motu machfive 3 and either a machine or arturia spark and get busy, trust me thats all you'll ever need.. Mach Five 3 is sooooooo deeeeep! and dope lol

Years ago i "worked" a bit with fl studio, nothing too serious but it wasn't that hard. Actually I dont think it matters that much what you start with. Each programme has it's own advantages and disadvantages. I recently started with Logic and though i find the learning curve high in comparisson to Fl studio, i have already learned a lot by searching forums and watching videos on youtube. I think that i f you really want to do it, you should do it right from the start.

yeah pick whichever one you wanna use and just stick with it. no point changin halfway through your learning process, that would be detrimental... unless youre a genius and any program just flows for you.. the hardest/biggest thing is understanding what everythign in the program actually is and what it does. once you have a grasp on the technicalities of production, you can find the same applications and processes in all of the programs, the only difference is GUI and OS.

Although it might seem counter intuitive I would recommend looking for a controller first as many of them ship with light versions of software that "might" provide a cheaper upgrade path to a full version thus saving you money in the long run....it's also better to use a controller as opposed to clicking shit in with the mouse.

You might also want to think about what computer you plan to use in future because some software is platform specific.

Thanks to ReWire your time learning one program such as Reason does not mean you have to abandon it should you decide to move onto something more advanced like Cubase at a later date.

Before you go and spend 100 dollars, or however much, on a top flight DAW, you may want to check out some ones that are free, if you are an absolute beginner.
Check out MuLab 4. That should be a good start if you're looking to get into FL Studio.

or you could get the demo first to get a feel for it. that's what I did back when I started (Fall 2010).

Back