best software for making beats for beginners ?

If you are fresh I don't think you should waste money on buying a DAW untill you know your gonna stick with it. Prove to yourself you got the talent and drive to learn how to make music. ReBirth can be downloaded for free.

It emulates a 909 drum machine - Used for House tracks - Good for a four to the floor thump. The 808 which is where all those boomy sub bass kicks and skittering snare samples come from in Lex Luger trap beats. Plus it has a virtual TB-303 that has been used in house and hip hop for lead and bass sounds.

If you can't coax some good beats out of Rebirth you may as well save your money. If you can make a track that sounds good in rebirth then upgrade to Fl Studio, Reason or Ableton Live. Try the demos and see which one you like best.

Last edited:
If you are fresh I don't think you should waste money on buying a DAW untill you know your gonna stick with it. Prove to yourself you got the talent and drive to learn how to make music. ReBirth can be downloaded for free.

It emulates a 909 drum machine - Used for House tracks - Good for a four to the floor thump. The 808 which is where all those boomy sub bass kicks and skittering snare samples come from in Lex Luger trap beats. Plus it has a virtual TB-303 that has been used in house and hip hop for lead and bass sounds.

If you can't coax some good beats out of Rebirth you may as well save your money. If you can make a track that sounds good in rebirth then upgrade to Fl Studio, Reason or Ableton Live. Try the demos and see which one you like best.

Ableton Live Tutorial - Creating an 808 Kick Deep Bass Sound with Analog - YouTube

Ableton Live8 how to clean up a 909 kick drum for nu disco retro house - YouTube

#34 TB-303 with Operator :: Ableton Live - YouTube

To be honest, if you don't buy a DAW - YOU WILL be left behind!

Last edited:
Of course if your gonna make music you will need a DAW but a lot of guys will give up when they realize how hard it is to make music, so its better for them to practice with something thats free to see if they have the drive to learn music. What is wrong with spending a couple of weeks using rebirth to learn how to program drums and bass lines? If you can't make a beat in a simple tool like rebirth why invest money in a DAW that is more complicated. I think a lot of new producers are sinking in technology rather than focusing on learning fundamental skills of composition, structure, etc.

I just chose rebirth cos as an example for him to learn on cos its free and he can practice with it a bit and see if this music biz is for him. Then he can upgrade to a proper DAW like live. My two cents.

Of course if your gonna make music you will need a DAW but a lot of guys will give up when they realize how hard it is to make music, so its better for them to practice with something thats free to see if they have the drive to learn music. What is wrong with spending a couple of weeks using rebirth to learn how to program drums and bass lines? If you can't make a beat in a simple tool like rebirth why invest money in a DAW that is more complicated. I think a lot of new producers are sinking in technology rather than focusing on learning fundamental skills of composition, structure, etc.

I just chose rebirth cos as an example for him to learn on cos its free and he can practice with it a bit and see if this music biz is for him. Then he can upgrade to a proper DAW like live. My two cents.

Totally agree with what your saying, it's initially, a long hard road to understanding the complexities involved with producing music from a DAW, as you rightly suggest rebirth is a great tool and mechanism which highlights awareness, testing acumen/ patience, you can also download versions of some DAW's for either trial periods or continuous use restricted to demo mode.

even though logic is complicated in some aspects, its still easy to get along with. with alot of tutorials etc from youtuve it becomes easier with everytime you go on it...

Hey..there are some best software for making beats for beginners...

- Fruity loops
- Reaper
- Sonic producer
- Mix craft...etc

I started on renoise, trackers look lot more complex than they are but they're not everyone's cup of tea.

You might want to consider some lessons on keys as well. Our Fundamentals of Neo-Soul has been doing very good as far as producers wanting to play hip-hop and soul.

Fl Studio for sure. Just go out on the internet and look for free drum samples too, as they are everywhere if you look hard enough.

Logic Studio

For everyone that are serious about getting into beatmaking, I recommend Logic Studio. There are several reasons for this.

First off, there are no real limitations with Logic Studio. It's decent with MIDI-editing, is supported by almost all third-party plug-in developers, it's good with audio recording and editing and it comes ready for anything and everything.

Because Logic Studio comes with everything, that is plug-ins for both beatmaking and mixing, you won't outgrow it as you continue to learn new techniques and refine your workflow.

The option to record and edit audio is huge because it, combined with the mixing plug-in suite, enables you to record and edit your own drum/percussion sounds and tinker around with them to form your own, unique library of sounds.

Keep in mind that there are several other good DAW's to use besides Logic. FL Studio is great for beginners too, but I don't have as much personal experience with that.

Probably FL Studioand dobe Auditon.

thats exactly what i started with in 2004 or so..

i would get ableton though!
ableton is good and so is logic. it really just depends.

if your serious and want to go DJish then ableton.
and logic is good for just about everything.

there are so many books and videos that if you just google the name of the DAW and then tutorial, youll get plenty of info.
also just read the manual that it comes with!!!

GL

this has probaby already been said but, ...........................................................................................Fl Studio is your best bet for sure, .... just make sure to read the instruction manual or you will be lost.

Good Luck mate.

thats exactly what i started with in 2004 or so..

i would get ableton though!
ableton is good and so is logic. it really just depends.

if your serious and want to go DJish then ableton.
and logic is good for just about everything.

there are so many books and videos that if you just google the name of the DAW and then tutorial, youll get plenty of info.
also just read the manual that it comes with!!!

GL
Forgot about Ableton, it's not bad, ive heard some good tunes come out of Ableton but for MAC, Pro tools and Logic seems more ideal, imho.. For the most part, people usually grow out of FL after awhile...

FL Studio for starters is a must, much more simple than Ableton ... However Ableton imo is a much better DAW overall, once i switched i never looked back :)

Old thread I know, but found this thread while searching.
Reason I'm replying to this instead of opening a new thread is because I'm seriously considering getting a Mac to use for my biz and for making music ect..

I see a lot of good reviews for pro tools but logic studio looks good to? Decisions decisions???

Back