Best Program for making Hip-Hop beats?

I cosign everybody that says it doesn't really matter what program you use, as long as you take the time to learn it. Every DAW is essentially a sequencer, a bunch of instruments and samplers that can be tweaked.

Anything but ProTools, Cubase, Sonar (those are GREAT for recording, but there are much better for beat production). I recommend 'flipping the coin' between Reason, Maschine, Ableton, FL Studio.

Master what you have then upgrade if needed. I started with fruity loops and when it felt right i moved into Logic and Protools. But its not what tools you have but how you use them! Sounds are very important as a producer. Can't never have enough!!

I have been using Reason for about 4 years now and it is a very powerful software. It does take a while to get used to it, but now I can create all of my own synths and have gotten used to the workflow. The problem is that it can't record directly into it and is basically a huge VST software. I recently got Ableton Live and it works perfectly when Rewired to Ableton.

I currently use Reason 5, but I was wondering everybody's opinions on the best software for hip-hop, R&B, and alternative. I like Reason but I feel like I need alot better patches and sounds.

Consider upgrading to 7.

7 has much more features than 5. And with REs, Reason has some great synths.

If u want to go VST, I would look into Ableton for workflow. Logic for built in sounds. Many love FL Studio but I could never get with its workflow.

Most DAWS have only basic built in sounds and most supplement them with VSTs, and other samples.

I actually think Reason has better factory patches than most DAWs other than Logic.

That said any DAW is capable,

Last edited:
There are so many options, I've used several but don't think that one audio software is significantly better than any other for producing hip hop beats. All will allow you to cut and sample songs, add virtual instruments, etc. there is a great site with a good page on audio software options. Reason has some of the better software instruments, but you can download plugins for free on the web to get new sounds.

Good luck!

Agree with this, the workflow in reason sucked to me and just never allowed me to get as creative as I wanted. Also a lot of the patches just kind of sounded dry to me for lack of better terms, VST's were a lot more style so FL Studio worked for me.
Yeah very true, I also agree.

Whatever is an extansion to your creativity. Thats a very subjective topic. I know how to handle Ableton Live DAW's, Cubase SX 3 & 5 but as far as getting the Job done the smoothest way is FL Studio.Whatever works for you!

Back