best hard drive numbers and partitioning for music production

Kelghazaly

so i will get make in a week and i was thinking about how arrange the HHD
so
Drive1: 320 GB for OSX and programs

Drive2: 2TB Partition 1: 1000 GB for VSTs and libraries
Partition 2: 1000 GB for Projects and samples

Drive3: External 500 GB or 1TB for backup
is this good?!! or what please help cause this will be the first time i use Mac i am a pc user

I tend to worry about larger drives and partitioning - if you want two 1tb partitions get two 1tb drives (it is cheaper and safer, as only one physical and logical drive can crash instead of one physical drive and two logical ones). In the case of multiple partitions you may not be able to recover any dat from either logical drive depending on the crash type.

Also if you must use a larger drive and partition it do not put the project files on the same drive as the library files, asking for disk overload issues with trying to access different parts of the drive in separate partitions at the same time.

Safer to have project files on their own drives as well a network drive for backups. You can schedule these to run at anytime - as a network drive it can be accessed from any machine on your home network and provide the services you want without tying your specific machine down to providing background os support for its functionality

Back