Bass getting distorted by what seems like nothing

scalpcrabs

Hey brand new to the forum, not sure if this is where to ask. I'm having a very wierd problem, I'll try and explain it the best I can, sorry if its not perfect.

Im using ableton live 9
Ok so my kick and snare are going in a classic 4 4 style.
The bass is going on an off beat and some different hits.
Ok so, solo the kick snare drum rack doesnt distort, and solo the bass nothing distorts.
Together it sounds like there is a side chain of a square synth going on the second kick snare hit.
Dont know if that makes sense.
ok so the first kick hit is two kicks with a high hat then the second kick is two kicks with snare, claps and high hat.
Now if i mute the two kicks on the first hit of the drum and only the high hat goes it still distorts.
If i mute all the kicks and its only the high hat and snare going it still distorts the bass.
Ive tried using eq eight to cut off the lows on the drum thinking maybe i was putting to much bass but it will still distort.
So i muted the entire drum rack and put a 4 4 pattern with just a high hat and it distorts.
Now heres the wierd part that has me completely stumped and fustrated.
if i put a high sparkly synth ontop of it, and loud enough, the distortion on the bass disapears completely.

Any idea why this is happening?

audio?

guess would be that the bass is clipping and causing the distortion

the sparkly synth is not making the distortion disappear, simply masks it

audio?

guess would be that the bass is clipping and causing the distortion

the sparkly synth is not making the distortion disappear, simply masks it

No it actually gets rid of it.
its not at the same frequency as the distorted sound and you can hear the distorted sound through it if its low but the minute you pass a threshold it disapears all of a sudden.
I cant tonight but tomorrow ill render it to mp3 to show what happens.

better as wav - that way you do not get any other distortions added to the sound by the mp3 codec

Back