Basic Ableton Question

Apmusic

RESPECT:
What's up yall? It's been a while since I've been on here but this place has been my go-to for advice and general knowledge for 3 years now. I've stayed in the background for the most part; watching and learning and I gotta say, some of you really know your shit! Hopefully someone can help me out or point me in the right direction...

BACKGROUND:
I'm trying to make the transition from Reason to Live 8 (as a sequencer) and I'm having a HARD time even laying anything down. I've read the manual and it's hit or miss. It tells what everything does in detail but doesnt tell you how to do it.

PROBLEM:
To keep this as simple as possible I'm trying to record a 4 bar loop for lets say, 3 different midi instruments on three different tracks. I've figured out how to navigate through sounds, insert midi tracks, and load my sounds into the tracks, arm the track, and even record four bars in the session/arrangement view.

What I want:
I want a one bar count-in
I want the metronone to play while I'm recording
I want a Global loop so when I switch midi tracks, it still loops in sync with the previous track.

I got the impression that I could also use looper to do what Im trying to do. The main confusion i'm having is finding out how to set the global loop, an figuring out which record button to use (the one in the midi track that changes to a stop button or the one on the main transport bar). I also dont completely understand how they are connected to each other or what they have to do with one another. I know they are somehow related because they keep ****ing shit up depending on which one I use. lol Somebody help me please. This is hella easy in Reason. I was making beats on the first day. I've been scouring Ableton's manual, youtube, and the rest of the interworld for two weeks but still cant lay down a simple ass beat. frustrating. Sorry for the long ass post.

Best,

Lux

I want a one bar count-in

Preferences > Record/Warp/Launch > Count-in

I want the metronone to play while I'm recording

Just turn the metronome on. I can't remember if it's possible to automatically have it on just when recording, but in any case, it's just one click away.

I want a Global loop so when I switch midi tracks, it still loops in sync with the previous track.

You can always loop in the Arrangement view, regardless of clip lengths - or if you already know what length your clips will be, just create the empty MIDI clips before recording.

You can always turn on the metronome on the top left , it's 2 dots horizontally next to each other.

You can always loop in the Arrangement view, regardless of clip lengths - or if you already know what length your clips will be, just create the empty MIDI clips before recording.

Thanks, this helped me start step-recording and in the process I KIND OF figured out how to record loops.

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

to the OP... you should try going thru the tutorials that comes with Live... Live functions different than Reason... yes... both Reason and Live record midi and audio data... but the concepts of using Live is different... instead of focusing on creating a beat... try understanding how Live functions... this will help your beat making experience 10 fold...

I definitely considered that, I just couldnt find them when I went to look for them... I remember seeing them when I first installed the program though.

---------- Post added at 06:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

You can always turn on the metronome on the top left , it's 2 dots horizontally next to each other.

Thanks bro, I knew how to turn on the metronone but it doesnt seem to play or give me a count-in when im using the looper.

Back