Anyone use Reaper?

noahfeazell

I first started using FL studio to make music. I then started using Ableton after some time. I switched back to FL and you know what? I just wasn't feeling any of them. I recently got reaper and it's so for me. It's so customizable. Literally can change everything. Well that's good and all but I don't see many people using it. For music production anyway. I see people say it's great for mixing but it's rare to find tutorials or just play-throughs in Reaper on music production. Why is that though? It's a great DAW. I wanna know if anyone uses it here.

Some daws get more traction than others simply because that's how it is when there's a couple dozen.
I've tried alotta daws out myself and favored a good bit over the rest.

Have not given reaper enough time but I think it's supposed to be on par with cubase in terms of featureset.

I use REAPER. Really pleased with the latest update which has support for sheet music in it...

Never tried any other DAW, but I'm happy with this one

Oh yeah that is a cool feature! I haven't seen that in any other DAW except cubase. Maybe there are more. My reading isn't that good so maybe using reaper's piano roll and then after I'm done with the music I make, i can switch to sheet view and learn it. I think many more people should use reaper.

I've been using Reaper as a basic multitracker for about a decade. Haven't really done any serious mixing in it though...

The Cockos website and forums have a ton of info there if you ever get stuck or need help with something. There are videos on yt for it as well. Do you have any specific questions with it or just generally concerned with the community?

Reaper is good. I would always recommend it when you know exactly what VSTs you will use since it's so cheap (is it still basically free?). Nothing wrong with it, it is just lacking massive stock effects like all the other big names. I used it for a few years and now I'm back to ableton.

It's not really free, but you can evaluate as long as you want (nag screen). The discounted license is 60 Bucks (if you are an inidividual or your music income is under $20k per year.)
And they have a quite nice update policy, free updates until version 6.99 ! we are now an 5.31, frequent updates also based on community feedback.

"Internal" effects isnt such a big deal IMHO, it's all there (EQ, Comp, BW-Limiter etc.), they dont look that fancy, but they do their job.
There are sooo much good freeware plugins out there (TDR Labs etc.) , just grab em if you dont like the internal ones.

Last edited:
All daws nowadays have the same features.

Its just what you like best. I like pro tools and reason because they are most like using real hardware, and they follow all the correct terminology. Where as Reaper and Sonar make up there own way of doing things.

You can get the same results with any of them.

You should always keep in mind tho, that the less you have the more creative you are. When I started off I use to day dream about owning a sampler so I could have 16 parts. I never did own that until I went software!

But nowadays starting off its to easy because of all the you tube tutorials and also all the software, of course the downside is that in the 90s people became rich from producing records so they had massive motivation to learn their tools. Nowadays you would be lucky to buy a hot dog with a placement, as many people probably get paid nothing for letting people use their music.

Incredible program and hands down runs neck and neck with anything on the market and I mean anything. Flexibility to mold it into the program you personally want is a huge plus. For more tutorials visit their website reaper.fm and search youtube for reaper tutorials.

Used it for a bit until I fell in love with Logic X for all my production needs. Definitely check it out though you never know it may be perfect for you!

I like the free aspect of it with the never ending trial. I do like mulab as well. I use those as I'm a main reason user and don't have the possibility to run vsts. With reason, you have rack extensions that resemble vsts, by the same fabricators, but you have to buy them seperately and you can only use them in reason. So i use reaper or mulab to run them.
I also have kontakt with samplemodeling vsts for saxophone.
Other then that, IMO, I don't feel they're competing to Reason in any way.
I wonder if other ppl feel the same? Does reaper compete to ableton or fl studio or any other of the big DAW contenders out there?

I'd compare reaper to reason essentials in terms of what you get.
with that being said, That is also a great daw. A very good daw.

I am an open source guy and have a couple of DAW boxes running on linux where I do my music, I use a few different distros etc etc, one being KXStudio, which includes among other things Reaper and it works for me when I am tracking. I first started out I could not afford anything else so open source was my way to the promise land, most of the nicely packaged professional DAW software got the code in the open source world, made it GUI and simplified it to run on win/nt kernel Mac, SUPER powerful stuff, but for some the learning curve might not be something one would want to tackle. You can always check out the Live DVD and see just how powerful it is and it does have some documentation on Reaper. KXStudio a list of whats is on the Live DVD and the dowloadable link is there to

Back