Am I rubbish, or is Reason holding me back?

Maybe you need to learn some new techniques? You could try other software also, but Reason seems to be pretty legit.

Trying every day! I think it's actually more about what NOT to do than anything else that's letting me down. Plenty of pitfalls to ruin mixes and I'm finding out the hard way. A good thread on the don'ts of mixing anyone?

Plenty of cool Rack Extensions instead of VSTs though. The plus side is that this restriction is all to the end of keeping things running smoothly.

Reason 7.0 makes life even more fun with the ability to control external devices via midi - which means running standalone vst hosts that are then wired in via one of many input busses to the audio recording inputs

and this is a problem because......?

It's no problem for me, I just RW Pro Tools. I guess I should have gone into more detail. Reason is powerful but to get certain things accomplished you must pair it with another program, or else Reason CAN hold you back.

Last edited:
Dude I thought the same thing. I thought Reason was holding me back. I was using Reason 4 and I wanted audio tracks. So I bought Ableton Intro. In the first two weeks I was soooo happy. I was like, yeah this is what I need. After about a month I realized I only made one complete song. Ableton is great, but you have to add so many thing with it to get great results. You have to buy VST's and Effect plugins. Whit Reason, everything is right there. I soon went back to Reason and I love it. Maybe you just need a break from making music. I think that's what my issue was.

Trust me, You can make HUGE Dubstep tracks in Reason. Scream 4 is your friend.

Learn Proper production and engineering, masterings techniques for what ever style your doing and you will get what your looking for eventually. Dont expect a Perfect mix out the gate. Time hand on is the only way.. :)

Don't buy into the whole "this DAW sounds better than that DAW". They're all the same. The end product depends on a persons ability to properly mix and master the track, not to mention using high quality samples to begin with. You're music isn't going to sound any better just because you switch to Ableton.

Edit:

And to add to what I said. Just focus on writing good music and then find someone to master it for you. Mastering is an art form in itself that takes years of experience to get good at. Write the good music and I'm sure someone out there will want to help you get it sounding the best it can.

Last edited:
Ollie, it's simple "the more you do something the better you get at doing it."

I'll say that again

THE MORE YOU DO SOMETHING
THE BETTER YOU GET AT IT

Instead of worrying that the software is holding you back, look at what things you do not know how to do yet, whether it be composition (melody, chords, rhythm), sound design, mixing, creative eq, creative application of effects, etc

When you have made your list, decide which facet you want to tackle first and so on: set yourself an agenda for learning within your current daw.

Changing software won't fix anything, it will only highlight different aspects of the same basic problems; it's like changing boats mid-trip or horses mid-race - very difficult and usually not worth the ensuing pain.......

Nice advice lol

http://www.beatmart.net

I use reason and its really something you have to just use alot. A matter of fact every program you would pick up would require you to spend time making beats on it anyways, regardless of what it is. Sure its more difficult than FL as most people have told me but it does have its uses.

I personally felt Reason was holding me back.. This is because I'm more into cinematic and rich rnb sounds. Reason is awesome for hiphop, and can be useful in other genres too. The main reason I don't use Reason much is my collection of EastWest and VSL collections. They are essential to my work, there is no way to use them in Reason. Currently there are no worthy string, brass, piano, or drum libraries available in Reason Racks relieve me from EastWest. And when I say drum libraries, I'm not talking about typical drum kits that one can make...Im talking about cinema grade. For example I just bought StormDrum 3....there is nothing on the market like this!!

Last edited:
Back