all the reason users... reason 7?

All things personal pref. If you feel you need some of the upgraded stuff to make working within reason a little easier or faster then go for it. I own Essentials jumping from Reason 3. It was all I needed. Refills still work besides the stuff that requires some of Reason's exclusive stuff. But a lot of the stuff in Reason I can do without. So I decided not to upgrade. I did think about it when it was $299 for 6 with the free upgrade. I was going to give a dude I work with the license to Essentials since I don't have Pro Tools and that is what he uses. Dude hard headed......it would make my life a lot easier. It would make my life a lot easier if everyone atleast had Essentials. Then I would get the full version no matter the cost because life would be so easy just to pull up an Essential session to mix or remix or add or whatever. BUT NOOOOOO.....I got to piece up everybody sessions from difference stuff they use when they send me vocals. Then I end up waiting til I meet up with them to bounce the whole tracks seperate. Sitting....waiting. :(

Reason has the potential to be the perfect standard now with 7. With you having 6.5 though, if you don't hardly use or need the new auto slicing of audio files, never cared for mp3 in reason anyway, don't care for group tracks, you don't own any hardware snyths or drum machines, and don't plan on using nothing more but RE Extensions in Reason....like me......then IMO you would be better off spending that money on some RE Extensions. But if any ONE of those interest you then go for it.

I think it's a shame that Reason 6.5 couldn't atleast get the auto audio slice feature. That's B.S right there....when it came as a free upgrade for Essentials. That might be something for people who haven't upgraded yet to complain about to Props. Because maybe "THAT'S ALL YOU WANTED". They should make an update to 6.5 or make a 6.6 that adds that as an upgrade along with sending those chops to Dr.Octorex.

Last edited:
Audio clip loading Mp3s made it worth the purchase for me. Seems like a basic thing, but gives me all the things I liked about being able to load a sample into edison/FL inside Reason.

Sampling has always been my big headache with Reason. Never used recycle, had to open a seperate loop editor, now i can sample 100s of different ways between the upgrade from 5-7. That's alot of ground covered in a short time.

I still hate the changeup in the mixer, but the new routing and faders built in to the instruments help alot as well. I don't have to full screen and bounce all over the place anymore. Gone back to a minimized screen and just go to the mixer on the rare occasion I need to do more than adjust gain and pan(similar to why you'd go to FL's mixer). Reason has become a well rounded program. I could use it from the beginning to the end of a project now, kind of how i used SONAR on PC.

Alot of guys say this is a weak update, but from an engineering and sampling perspective, it opened a new world. Midi Outs are awesome as well, make me wanna pick up some hardware in the new future. Been playing with it with the few modules I have, just that they don't benefit as much as hooking up something like a newer workstation keyboard or modular synth.

First time in the last few updates I haven't been upset by "what's new". Mainly because for once, they didn't change anything and expect me to change my workflow because they said it was better.

Audio clip loading Mp3s made it worth the purchase for me. Seems like a basic thing, but gives me all the things I liked about being able to load a sample into edison/FL inside Reason.

Sampling has always been my big headache with Reason. Never used recycle, had to open a seperate loop editor, now i can sample 100s of different ways between the upgrade from 5-7. That's alot of ground covered in a short time.

I still hate the changeup in the mixer, but the new routing and faders built in to the instruments help alot as well. I don't have to full screen and bounce all over the place anymore. Gone back to a minimized screen and just go to the mixer on the rare occasion I need to do more than adjust gain and pan(similar to why you'd go to FL's mixer). Reason has become a well rounded program. I could use it from the beginning to the end of a project now, kind of how i used SONAR on PC.

Alot of guys say this is a weak update, but from an engineering and sampling perspective, it opened a new world. Midi Outs are awesome as well, make me wanna pick up some hardware in the new future. Been playing with it with the few modules I have, just that they don't benefit as much as hooking up something like a newer workstation keyboard or modular synth.

First time in the last few updates I haven't been upset by "what's new". Mainly because for once, they didn't change anything and expect me to change my workflow because they said it was better.

i feel the exact same way. sampling was a HUGE problem with reason. im wondering how youve been able to avoid recycle though. its a program ive never grown to like myself, but sampling elsewhere was even worse! reason 7 is a godsend for me. nothing like visually slicing a sample into 16 even bites, shooting it up to the kong pads in chunk mode. im setting up my chops in less than one or two minutes now. the bus grouping and parrallel channel stuff save a shit load of time too. id venture to say there is no better sw workflow out there now

^^^^I'd sample, edit(chop/timestretch/pitch to tempo), and bounce down loops from Pro Tools then load them into the NNXT. Load on multiple keys, polyphony = 1, and move the start points to give various starts and make it all line up perfect.

Wasn't as hard as it sounds. I got cleaner cuts and could do it quicker than most guys did with recycle. I never liked how you got choppiness from recycle. You had to conform to the tempos it worked in, couldn't record into it, could only load wav/aif...so I could never make myself pay $200 for it.

all true. unfortunately my r7 beta expired now so im stuck with recycle for a few more weeks...

i cant wait to get this shit off my computer

Back