About Pads/Synths that don't hold using the Pedal

mystirboy

Hello Good day sir/ma'am!

I'm new to the whole synth/music effects field. I'm currently having problems and the main thing is I'm really not sure what are the exact "keywords" to use for the search. I've checked Google and checked the forums to the best I could using the search button.

So basically my problem is whenever I use pads coupled with stepping on my sustain pedal, the notes always stay on "hold" for as long as my feet is stepping on that pedal.

It really causes a problem for me when I layer it with a piano. When I play notes and/or chords the pad just sustain's all the notes I pressed which in most cases is good for creating a fat atmosphere but I really need something that releases whenever I change notes/chords without having to release my sustain pedal all the time when I change chords just to avoid the pads overlapping and in the process cut my piano sounds sustain.

Sincerely thank you for your time answering this.

Last edited:
Restrict the polyphony on the synth, or out it in some legato mode.

Have no idea if any of that will make any difference, but hey I made an effort. :-)

Probably scrapheapers advice is more solid.

Last edited:
Hmm... to be honest I am kind of new to all theses things... so as much as I am ashamed to admit it... I really didn't understand anything you guys said but I appreciate the effort.

I figured out how to rephrase my problem. "My midi piano has a sustain pedal. So while continuously stepping on the pedal, I want the pad to continue playing when I release the piano key but will stop playing whenever I press a new piano key to avoid "overcrowding" (if that's the right term) of notes."

Hmm... to be honest I am kind of new to all theses things... so as much as I am ashamed to admit it... I really didn't understand anything you guys said but I appreciate the effort.

I figured out how to rephrase my problem. "My midi piano has a sustain pedal. So while continuously stepping on the pedal, I want the pad to continue playing when I release the piano key but will stop playing whenever I press a new piano key to avoid "overcrowding" (if that's the right term) of notes."

Then the only way I can think of that might help you is to restrict the synthesizers polyphony, or set it to a mono mode (if any of it is possible). Restricting the polyphony means reducing the voices the synth is using, if you set it to 3 (not counting in other factors that may use up voices like unison and chorus effects), it can only play 3 notes at a time, if you play any 3 new notes, the old ones should be cut off.. (which seems to be up your alley at this point). Some type of Mono mode would be something similar, except you'd probably only be able to play 1 note at a time that way.

What synth are you trying to do this with?

Last edited:
Then the only way I can think of that might help you is to restrict the synthesizers polyphony, or set it to a mono mode (if any of it is possible). Restricting the polyphony means reducing the voices the synth is using, if you set it to 3 (not counting in other factors that may use up voices like unison and chorus effects), it can only play 3 notes at a time, if you play any 3 new notes, the old ones should be cut off.. (which seems to be up your alley at this point). Some type of Mono mode would be something similar, except you'd probably only be able to play 1 note at a time that way.

What synth are you trying to do this with?

I was trying to use FireBird since I'm just trying learn the ropes(but I'm planning to buy professional grade once I get enough cash) so I haven't bought anything that costs money.

BUT restricting the polyphony to three was the answer I was looking for. It seems to be the magic number as making it 4 gets me back to my problem. Thanks!

Thanks for taking your time. I really appreciate this.

Back