Ableton Live VST Help

jlewallen18

I'm new to Ableton Live 9, (longtime Cubase user here) and I am having trouble getting omnisphere (or any VST) to show up in Ableton. It seems to be a different process of getting a VST to work in Ableton than Cubase. Where is Ableton's default VST folder located?? All I need to place in this folder is the Omnisphere .dll...right? I tried looking up tutorials but I cant seem to follow the ones I found..I am willing to answer any questions you have to help you diagnose my problem haha

Any help is GREATLY appreciated,

Thank you!

There is no specific folder Ableton makes. You gotta browse for your own folder. So make a folder for your vst's if you haven't and start installing all of them in that folder.

For example my vst folder
C:\Music Production\Plugins\

My Omnisphere dll is here
C:\Music Production\Plugins\VST Instruments\64 Bit Instruments\Spectrasonics\Omnisphere

If I were to go into the Ableton prefrences and set it to
C:\Music Production\Plugins\

It would read all my plugins and not just Omnisphere.

I think for Windows the default is something like this C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns but that not specifically for Ableton...on a 64 bit machine.

Hit CTRL+, to open up the preferences and go into Files Folder and go to the bottom. Once you choose the path rescan it.
b00gQk4.png

Something to keep in mind also is make sure you are using the correct version of Ableton...If you are going to use 32 bit plugins you gotta open up the 32 bit Ableton, if you are going to use 64 bit plugins...yup you've guessed it...use the 64 bit Ableton. Im not sure but I think Cubase has a VST bridge so it doesnt matter it loads both 32 and 64 bit into one version of the program...so maybe that can be different.

Just realized I downloaded 32 bit Ableton trial (waiting on physical copy to come in mail). Will download 64 bit and let you know. I'm also trying out your folder path as well

---------- Post added at 07:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:08 PM ----------

Something to keep in mind also is make sure you are using the correct version of Ableton...If you are going to use 32 bit plugins you gotta open up the 32 bit Ableton, if you are going to use 64 bit plugins...yup you've guessed it...use the 64 bit Ableton. Im not sure but I think Cubase has a VST bridge so it doesnt matter it loads both 32 and 64 bit into one version of the program...so maybe that can be different.

That did the trick! Thank you for your help!

Back