Ableton help

doodoocaca

i was wondering if there is a huge difference in sounds from ableton live 9 intro and standard. i already have logic i just want to rewire it to have more sounds and etc. so can anyone give me some pointers on which one to get and stuff. thanks

There's a comparison chart here. So basically, no, you don't get much sound-wise with Intro. Then again, Live isn't something I'd be buying just for the sounds anyway (but maybe that's just me because I never really use their built-in sounds anyway even though I have the Suite).

There's a comparison chart here. So basically, no, you don't get much sound-wise with Intro. Then again, Live isn't something I'd be buying just for the sounds anyway (but maybe that's just me because I never really use their built-in sounds anyway even though I have the Suite).

what would you recommend for more vibrant, pretty sounds. i need more chords mannnn

what would you recommend for more vibrant, pretty sounds. i need more chords mannnn
Chords? :) What does that mean? loops?
Anyways; what style do you make?

I´m a Logic user that just recently bought Live 9 suite and Abelton Push. It´s brilliant for songwriting and chopping up and playing with loops/samples etc.. I just got it to get a new angle on things; imma little stuck in the same track I felt.
For sounds? Nah, I´m relying on my libraries and soft synths mostly. I can use them both in Logic/Abelton.

i mean im still new to all this. but i just want to expand mu library of sounds. thats all i really want is just more sounds. i dont really sample or anything. style wise i dont really wanna label anything but more in the ways of like pharell neptunes ish, i guess

If I should get only 1 synth (some will claim its a rompler, not a synth. more on that a little down in this post) today it would be Nexus2. Uses little system resources and has tons of sounds. Many good expansion packs. A little EDM orientated but well suitable for dance, pop, house etc.

If I was to buy soft synths today I would get them in this order (based on the synths I know):
Nexus2, a good piano plugin if you are into piano playing (I use Ivory), Omnisphere, Komplete 8/9.

I have TONS more plugins but rather than getting more than these I would go for sample libraries. It´s a little hard to suggest you something without knowing if you are making classical music or SHM stadium anthems.
There are really many smart and cheap expansions for the Komplete sample player Kontakt. Kontakt is free from Native Instruments. I´m currently using 2 guitar libraries for kontakt from Welcome to Indiginus. The acoustic and Torch. They are brilliant and cheap.

It´s really hard to tell. Don´t go over the top buying plugs. Maybe start off with Nexus2 and Kontakt and get some cheap libraries. Keep in mind that you cannot operate Nexus2 like a full-blown synth with LFOs and such. But I bet thats not your need atm. You can anyways do that with logics stock synths which are brilliant imo.

To suggest an ultimate synth list for you I would have to know more about what instruments you have/play, what music you make, what computer you have and what budget you are on.

Last edited:
Logic is incredibly capable. However, depending on your budget, I could steer you in the best path for 3rd party plugins.

I would not choose Ableton for sounds..I use it 90% for its logical and versatile way of producing. Ive been using Live for 10 years [Time Flies!!], probably invested around 2K from initial purchase (4.x) to upgrades(9.x). Its sound library is decent. I like the pianos, new guitars, and rhodes. You can tweak some great sub bass with it's Operator instrument. I love Live 9's compressor (great side-chaining) and midi LFO :berzerk:. However 99% of my sounds come from a select group of plugins I have invested in. I recommend you demo as much software as you can...maybe on a test computer. Somethings can't be demoed easily like EastWest, Spectrasonics stuff, but you can find such demoes on youtube.

Here's one I made of Omnisphere: Spectrasonics Omnisphere Demo #1 - YouTube

Last edited:
Back