Ableton or FL Studio? Friends have been saying bad stuff about FL Studio.

TheFella

Hey guys,

I want to produce Hip-Hop and have been using FL Studio since a while now.
Most of my friends who do producing as well advice against using FL Studio because it's so "easy". (one of them who produces himself with mostly Hardware and has a full-time job in this field, and one of them who has a part time job and studied music)
This is the main reason why I want to stop using FL Studio because I have the feeling I will be missing out on stuff I will never discover if I continue using Hip-hop.
I have tried using Cubase but don't like it at all, and since recently trying to figure out how Ableton works and am liking that way more as Cubase.

What would you guys say. Should I continue using FL Studio? or Switch to Ableton?
I am a guy who is easy with learning new stuff, if I'm not lazy

because it's so "easy".
If it's that easy, then both of them should be swimming in pools full of money, because they would be able to make the best music out there, which I assume isn't true.

If you like FL, keep it. If you wanna try other DAW, try it. If it proves to suit YOUR workflow, then change.

Honestly, this is the most stupid thing I've ever read about people trying to justify why you shouldn't use FL Studio.

Your friends are probably most likely on the prejudiced end of the spectrum if they think fl studio is the easiest one to deal with.
I like Cubase, Reason and studio one because of how barebones they are in design lol. Just a timeline, and no pattern mode in sight.

Only switch if it's actually what you feel best using, as Dream already stated in his post clarifying such hilarity to begin with in the music production world.

There's many daws in the field:

Cubase
Reason
Studio one
Fl studio
Ableton
Magix Music Maker
Protools
Logic
LMMS
Ardour
Podium

The less you worry about the dumb stuff, the better you'll get in general.

Figuring out whether you like timeline based or pattern based workflow is something that will take time to figure out as well as everything else, so it'd be advised to instead, try out demos for all daws that look remotely interesting to you at all and mess with features till you click with something.

Really appreciate the feedback guys. Ok, I will check out Ableton for a few weeks and see which DAW suits better to me :)

No need to "switch" - just take another DAW to learn/use on the side. If at some point you find out you're not using the other one, then consider selling it.

If it's that easy, then both of them should be swimming in pools full of money, because they would be able to make the best music out there, which I assume isn't true.

I think the point might have been that if things are too easy it might not be that inductive to creativity.....as in you don't want to end up dribbling on yourself while playing with some easy to use Fisher-Price shit while the other kids have figured out how to build spaceships and shit by playing around with Lego.

I would recommend flstudio for hiphop. because of the fact that beats with different rhytmns are easy and quick to produce in fl. a lot of big producers use it, so don't be afraid that it would be ' too easy'.

There's a difference between easy for you and easy for somebody else.
Everybody's different. Fl studio and ableton's workflows are made with a different gameplan than timeline based daws.

this is the usual snobbery toward fl and it is usually from those who have never really used it. it is a very powerful program and as good as most daws out there. it has a wealth of tools under the hood and of you want to make hip hop or EDM or anything that uses beats its as good as any. the latest version now has a 'performance mode which a great addition, i use other daws and have used nearly every one there is and all i can say is if you want to make music you will find a way to use the tools you have. after all that's what it's all about. it's funny that most of the threads that appear like this never really feature anyone talking about MUSIC.
assuming you are up to date i would invest time into learning fl, everything you need is in there. and screw what others think.

Indeed, many producers confuse FL Studio with a "toy". Those who say this do not think they tried the program or they have used for a short period. I know it is a very good music software, can do about anything. Also it's one of the few music programs offering free upgrades for life.

FL Studio is AWESOME. I'm a mac user now, so I patiently wait their native version. Don't let those opinions get you down.

Back