Yamaha monitors lacking bass??

rskmaybachmusic

Hi everybody

I have just brought some yamaha hs7 monitors, i have them set up at ear level in the correct position on monitor stands, and i am dissapointed with the sound quality.
Like the bass lacks a lot, im not hearing that vibrating floor feeling or much bass in general, even when i play professional mp3 files with lots of bass.

Any ideas what i can do, is it worth returning them and getting something different??

Thanks

Jay

That's weird. My HS8s have awesome sound quality and loud, clear bass. Maybe that 8 inch woofer makes a difference. Maybe you need an additional subwoofer for the sound you want. The monitors can only play certain frequencies (it goes pretty low) and it plays them at like all the same volumes. There's a chart that shows that.

Add a sub. 2 ways to go about that.....

1. Spend $100 on any old Yamaha sub to see the difference it will make(I suggest a Yamaha sub because all yamaha speakers are mid/hi heavy and they make their subs to add the lacking low end to comply with their gear. If you like the results, you may want to upgrade, if you don't...you're gonna want another set of monitors. Yamaha 10" 100W Powered Subwoofer YST-SW216 - Best Buy

2. Buy an HS series sub and be done with it...but you may not like the sound subs supply. Yamaha HS10W Powered Subwoofer

In this case I'd go with option 1 for a temp fix and decide from there if I need new monitors or a really kick azz sub, but it's a touchy issue because both options involve spending more money. Good luck, hope everything works out for you.

As much as I want to agree with Jordan that the 8s will give you more bass(they really do), the sound of Yamahas may just not be what you're going for. They do tend to be mid/hi heavy, this is why that Yamaha sub will make all the difference. If the sub doesn't fix your problem(I'm like 90% sure it will)you're more than likely gonna want another brand of monitor.

Last edited:
your right, they are great in the highs and mid range, i am hearing all the layers in songs but just the bass sections lack abit, like the kicks and 808s

I wonder why the new sub is an 8 inch sub and the previous one was 10 inch. I love the design of Yamahas subs; I'd really like to hear them and see how much they improve the sound on my HS8s.

Yamaha makes their subs to play friendly with their speakers. Their subs have a different presence IMO than other companies because they utilize it as a chance to add a piece to THEIR puzzle. I'd suggest anyone with Yamaha speakers adding a Yamaha sub.

I've never been a fan of any HS monitors other than the 8s...until you add the sub, then you have an amazing sounding overall system. 6.5s with that HS10(never tried the 8 to compare)will sound AMAZING. 6.5s by themselves...not so much. Widening the space between them may help a little(depending on the room), but I'm sure adding the sub will fix his problem. Just don't want him to dive in head first and pay $400 to realize he may as well have gotten some Rockit 8s or MR8s for around the same price and just used the HS7s as reference speakers. But from what he describes he wants, I'd bet the ranch a sub will fix his problem.

Last edited:
Back