Will these computers run Pro Tools 10/11/12?

sumguy

What up y'all. so i've been using other DAWs and my engineer uses Pro Tools. i took the dive and bought it as well, and i'm looking to buy a new system that will run it properly. when i mix i usually go from 20-100 tracks. just wondering if these two will run PT well. My budget is around 1000, slightly more because of taxes. Thanks!

Asus Laptop
i7 2.5ghz
12 gb RAM DDR3L
2 TB memory

and
HP ENVY laptop
i7 2.5 ghz
16 gb RAM DDR3L SD RAM
1TB memory

Last edited:
First of all big studios tend to use Pro Tools on account of the expensive DSP hardware which does most of the heavy lifting instead of the computer which has usually been a Mac Pro and as a result you have people coveting these two brand names without really understanding what the advantage really is......but once you take away the expensive DSP hardware you actually need a more powerful computer to get close to the same results because you now rely on the native processing power of the computer and not the DSP hardware......like for years Apple Macs have sucked at native processing in comparison to PC's and yet people have been buying them for native processing because big studios use them to host Pro Tools DSP hardware rigs which takes the processing strain off that underachieving Mac.....:4theloveofgod:

The version of Pro Tools you will be using is dependent upon native processing and if you want it to get as close as possible to what the pro's actually use I would recommend getting a tower system over a laptop because once you configure a laptop for serious Music production all the crap you will have hanging off cables will negate the portability concept of the laptop......what I am saying is you don't want to end up using some messy desk hogging under powered laptop to do a tower system's job, like ideally a digital audio workstation should have at least two hard drives, one for the system and one for streaming audio, usually laptops have low RPM hard drives to conserve battery power and adding an external USB drive is not only messy but the protocol also taxes the CPU...why have a SATA drive with a USB interface in an external enclosure connected to a USB port when you can cut out the middle man and plug a SATA hard drive right into the motherboard of a tower system?

In short only buy a laptop if you have a legitimate need of portability.

Back