What type of turntable best suits me?

axel32

Hey, so I'm wanting to buy a turntable but I'm not sure about which brand would be best for me. I'm looking for a turntable I can use with Serato scratch to Dj with (or some other DJing program. I dont have a particular preference) and play regular records with to get samples for beats I make. My friend says to get Technics, but they aren't exactly cost-friendly. Don't get me wrong, if Technics best suit what I'm looking for, then I'll get them. I just wanted to know you guys' opinion before I go out and buy them.

Thanks.

Get the best TT you can afford. If you're primarily using it for listening and DJing, any decent brand with a direct-drive will be fine (the audio community is divided about things like belt-drive and direct-drive, straight tone-arm and bent tone-arm, etc., but direct-drive will stand up better to the riggers of DJing).

Your question is a lot like "What's the best car?" or some such; it depends on a number of factors (your budget, primarily, but also what you like, what you want to use it for, portability or no, USB/computer connectivity or no, etc.). Technics are fine. It doesn't have to be the famous 1200. If you are having trouble justifying the price, be patient and watch ebay and craigslist. You can spend $150 on a TT, and you can literally spend $15,000 or more. On the lower end, if you just want to listen to some vinyl and transfer to digital, you can get a little Numark portable; they have some cool features and are less expensive.

So it all depends. Happy hunting.

GJ

PS-- Something that I forgot to mention... The following will not affect you if you are using a DJ mixer with phono inputs, or are using a more newfangled TT with an internal amp or a line-level output. But if you plan to use a TT in the studio or with a traditional stereo set-up for home entertainment listening, you will need a phono preamp; it makes the low level TT output signal work with the rest of your gear. Google "phono preamplifier" or "phono preamp."

GJ

You wont go wrong with technics - its industry standard and in that sense has many advantages. Anything cheaper might not have enough torque although there are some exceptions

Numarks have amazing torque esp the ttx - not sure if they are cheaper these days.

Back