What studio monitors do you guys use?

BAGHEERA

I'm currently using KRK Rokit 5 g3's, and I pretty much swear by them, but I wanna know what my fellow producers are currently using when they're producing/mixing their music. :cheers:

Last edited:
some alesis elevate 5's son haha HELLA cheap but i mean they work really well actually and since i have only been producing for a month they were in a perfect price range, maybe once i get a little bit more experience ill invest in higher quality studio monitors.

Actually I try not to use anything too high end, mostly because they don't tell me when I'm mixing badly. They make everything sound too clear and balanced and that can produce some real surprises when you finally listen to the track on a common setup such as a laptop.

I know most people already know all of this, but just in case it helps someone. Imagine mixing a track with drums and bass and instruments. On really good monitors you will be able to hear all of the elements of the track really nicely, and then you might spend hours crafting the perfect mix and then export. Then you listen to the track on a laptop and reel in horror as you notice that your perfectly mixed track actually has no bass at all, because the frequency range that the bass was occupying is so low that it might as well not exist on laptop speakers. Same with drums, but they'll probably be too quiet. But if you mix on average monitors (or even on a laptop) to begin with, then you will already know for certain that the bass occupies an audible range and will sound good, and then on a better sound system it will probably just sound even better.

I also find proper studio monitors too forgiving when operating on the limits of their capability. You can be maxing out every track and still pick out every detail perfectly with no distortion, and then once again it just sound terrible on an average setup. So I'm sure talented producers know how to get the best out of using good monitors, but you have to use spectrum analysers and just ignore what you're actually hearing, because in the real world (as in someone listening to a track on Youtube) it's a totally different story.

So possible tip for beginners, mix on pretty average speakers. But for experienced producers, check that spectrum analyser and make sure that all your sounds are actually within the audible range of bad speakers. Anyway that's just my 2 pence worth, I'm sure that everyone on these forums already knows all of this.

Imagine mixing a track with drums and bass and instruments. On really good monitors you will be able to hear all of the elements of the track really nicely, and then you might spend hours crafting the perfect mix and then export. Then you listen to the track on a laptop and reel in horror as you notice that your perfectly mixed track actually has no bass at all, because the frequency range that the bass was occupying is so low that it might as well not exist on laptop speakers.
This is why a lot of people have a crappy speaker in addition to a good monitoring setup.
It´s always great to have good monitors in a decent room. But sure, you gotta think of how it will sound on low-cost systems. Thats called.... mixing :alcoholic:

Last edited:
This is why a lot of people have a crappy speaker in addition to a good monitoring setup.
It´s always great to have good monitors in a decent room. But sure, you gotta think of how it will sound on low-cost systems. Thats called.... mixing :alcoholic:

Agreed, imo you should always be producing on decent monitors but reference the track back on a handful of other speakers/headphones to gauge the final result.

I was on my old ns-10s for years but I've swapped them out for a pair of presonus e8's. I don't even turn my sub on anymore.

I use Rokit 5 G3s, but mix in my Samson SR850 headphones too, then reference with some normal Sony DJ headphones as well

Just bought my first pair of monitors - LSR308's and I couldn't be happier with the step up in my mixes.

Only scrub ass noobs that make shitty beats with pirated copies of FL Studio use Rokits. Do yourself a favor and buy Yamaha or JBL.

where are you getting that from

and it doesnt matter what you use these days since the consumer is listening off of everything you can think of. Its about getting used to what you use and understanding how the sound coming from yours at that moment translates to other speakers. So either listen to a ton of reference tracks on your new speakers to understand how a final mix should sound on your speakers or reference a ton of different speakers. Or both. Both.

Last edited:
I've been through quite a few sets of monitors and reference speaker setups throughout my time making music.

What I'm currently using:

System A: Polk Audio Monitor 7

Polk%20Monitor%207.preview.jpg

System B: Aiwa SX-N707 w/ Design Acoustics PS-SW Subwoofer

119372.jpg

7397-3.jpg

Headphones: Sony MDR-7506

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Back