What Standalone Sequencer/Sampler offers most?

DimensionX

I'm interested in getting AWAY from the computer and onto a standalone device. Will be busking with it. This explains best what I am doing (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBxEmuFmBMI) but I also understand I may not be able to work in my own way as every sampler has it’s limitations that I must be surrender to.

The newest electribe sampler isn’t as flexible as the octatrack but it runs on 6 AA’s!! And the Octatrack is too expensive to risk playing in the streets (though it isn't too flashy!) and I’d have to buy a battery pack. Is there something in between?

What Im looking for:

- Ability to load my own one shots/drums without stopping the sequence
- The ability to control the volume of each sound
- FX on each individual pad: compressor, reverb, various distortion etc
- Filter knobs that I can control more than one parameter
- The ability to change any of the sounds pitch/filter envelope's attack, hold and delay to create stabby and swelling sounds without stopping sequence
- Ability to control pitch subtly for oscillation movement (but that just sounds like i want a synth and they are too big!)
- Ability to play chords (again, might be too much to ask for, I suppose I can just pre write the chords in ableton)
- Size/portability is a MUST for me as I am on foot/backpack everywhere

I have a feeling that everyone is going to tell me to just get the octatrack but I am hoping there is a device I haven’t heard of yet! The other thing Im thinking is maybe a combo? I don’t know too much about these devices other than the octatrack, tr-8, roland x0x’s and electribes, but id like to have a single unit.

I understand I’m asking a lot but Im trying to survive outside working a normal job by teaching audio/music, few live shows and busking.

*reaching out*

Well, not asking a lot...but you're definitely asking for the Octatrack :D

There really aren't too many "perfomance oriented" samplers around - the only thing besides this & the Electribe unit is the ubiquitous MPC, but they're really limited in the synthesis department, not to mention fx.

Then again, if you do get the Octa, it's pretty much the best there is.

Back