What mic should I look into?

b_versa

I need a good mic to rap on. I've been using a USB that just doesn't get the job done. I have a pretty loud spoken voice so I need a mic that can handle loud and softer vocals. To give you an idea of what I sound like just think of Logic. Everyone that's heard me rap can agree.

Logic - Young Jedi

^^ I could cover that song (the first half) and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Now that you have an idea as to what I sound like let me know what mic(s) I should look into. I don't have a limited price range but I don't want to go too far over 1k unless I really had to. I want a mic that will give a good quality sound like the one in the song I linked above.

I was looking at the SM7B, Neumann tlm 102 and others but I don't know which one's would work well with my voice and all that.
So lemme know guys, thanks.

-- I'll also need to get an audio interface so if you got suggestions for one that would be dope.

Hey man. Whats up. here tuh help ya.

First off, I really like my MIC MOD EFX from Musiciansfriend for 29. bucks. Turns their listed mics into the ones listed. Problem is, if it isn't listed, it MAY be a no go. But hey my encore 100 isn't listed I like its original sound, so it combines with the other I pick real good. I love it. One of my favorite software is that cheap little MIC MOD EFX, WORKS WONDERS and does NOT sound autotunish. SOund PC. and anlog behavior, Makes my Encore 100 sound more dtailed with my chosen MIC I model WITH.

I suggest calling up or just searching or asking around in general what some good cheap dynamic mics are that are RESPONSIVE, AND CLEAR. Then get MIC MOD with w mic you want, possible if it is listed. Other than that pick a mic you know will "sit good in the mix" when all is said and done. Which is hard to say at first. MIc mod is a real life saver. Plus it has cool mics.

I love my Impact TWIN audio interface but it is firewire at the moment. Now Im looking at the M audio FAST track plus for laptop cuz its good for that and its USB. COmes with pro tools and USB.

I love and use neumans on MIC MOD. Try calling up musicians friend or buying a mic from somewhere else like sweetwater and asking whats responsive. I like and appreciate customer service.

The TLM is a nice mic. I've also used a lot of Blue mics also , and they have quite a few nice mics in your price range. On the more affordable side, the Bluebird and Baby Bottle both sound very nice. On the higher end of your scale the Bottle Rocket Stage One is a really nice mic, and has interchangeable capsules.

I also like the MXL Genesis ad Genesis II.

Additionally, though it's a dynamic, the Electrovoice RE20 can do some really nice vocals, though you need good pres in whatever interface you are using (to be fair, all mics benefit from good pres, and are affected by bad ones).

Regarding being able to handle a loud voice, any of the mics listed are fine. The big key to levels here are that your input trim needs to be at appropriate levels in, and as a performer you also should take into account your dynamics at any given section and adjust your proximity. Also, make sure you are using a pop filter. Some mics come with a matching pop filter, others you'll need to buy or make a pop filter.

Ultimately you should try to audition some mics before you buy.

Regarding an interface, is this also coming out of your $1k budget? If not, how much do you have to spend on an interface?

Buy the best you can get.
Buying cheap stuff means you will buy it two times.
And buying cheap stuff will never let your brain stip thinking about
of what you can do with a better piece.

Back