What Keyboard to purchase?

axwellmix

Hey, I'm looking for a keyboard to purchase. I'm looking for one with weighted keys or anything similar to weighted keys. I'm also looking for one that is either MIDI or one with a synth but also has a USB plug in to be used as a MIDI. I'm also looking for the cheapest possible option that I can get that fills my description although I won't mind spending a little more for something of better quality.

Thanks!

What is your budget? Don't go cheap but at the same time you don't want something that will only serve as a paperweight and if you are a player, weighted keys are a must.

What is your budget? Don't go cheap but at the same time you don't want something that will only serve as a paperweight and if you are a player, weighted keys are a must.

I'm not sure what equates to cheap but my budget is around $300. I'm willing to go a little higher though if the only way to get a weighted key keyboard is to do so. (I would love to spend a larger amount but I'm a student and funds are low)

I am aware that weighted keys are a must which is why I'm maybe asking for suggestions because I'm not having luck finding a weighted keys keyboard. (They all advertise things like velocity sensitive or semi weighted)

Last edited:
Weighted keys are a "must" if you are going to be playing traditional piano stuff a lot. In which case I'd recommend looking at 2nd hand digital pianos and such - because on the synth and/or controller side of things, I don't think there's anything remotely in your price range (Studiologic's SL88 is $499 and that's the cheapest that I know of atm). I'd wager most of us get around just fine with synth-weighted/semi-weighted keys - in fact my favourite keyboard to play on is a Nord Electro, which has waterfall keys for a Hammond-kind of organ touch. Playing piano with it is all well and good (just as an example). If you haven't already, go to a music store and try out some controllers, see what they feel like.

Last edited:
Weighted keys are a "must" if you are going to be playing traditional piano stuff a lot. In which case I'd recommend looking at 2nd hand digital pianos and such - because on the synth and/or controller side of things, I don't think there's anything remotely in your price range (Studiologic's SL88 is $499 and that's the cheapest that I know of atm). I'd wager most of us get around just fine with synth-weighted/semi-weighted keys - in fact my favourite keyboard to play on is a Nord Electro, which has waterfall keys for a Hammond-kind of organ touch. Playing piano with it is all well and good (just as an example). If you haven't already, go to a music store and try out some controllers, see what they feel like.

Yeah I've looked for second hand digital pianos but nothing that I have seen has had weighted keys or the hammer action keys. My budget is a little under for a weighted keyboard but I've looked around and I've found the Yamaha P-45 (£380) and Casio CDP-130 (£300) that seem to fit the bill pretty well (over budget but I think I'm okay to go over for now). I'm sort of weighing the differences between the two before I make purchase on what would be better or possibly a different but better option if anyone suggests one.

Has anyone had any experience with the Yamaha P series or Casio CDP series?

I would say you try out something compact that can serve as two functions, I use a microkorg in my setup and it helps a lot since I can move it around easy. Its a synthesizer but at the same time, you can just use it as a controller, downfall is there is no sustain pedal, but you can work around it. I think they make usb ones or something

Back