What is a good analog mixer..

Precursormusic

Precursor
Hi guys,

I'm new to this forum, but not to music production.
Lately I've expanded my studio with a KORG minilogue and I already have a KORG Volca beats and some sequencing equipment.
Now the thing is.. whenever I want to buy my next synthesizer I'm going to have a problem.. I will require 3 inputs and my focusrite only has 2.

In other words, it might be better to get an analog mixer. According to a friend of mine from Yakumo the mixer could really colour your sound and should be your no1 investment on the stage and probably for at home as well. I'm not looking forward to spending too much on it, but the guy has a point..

What mixers would you guys recommend and why? New or old.. I don't really mind, I think I want 12 channels and probably fx (reverb, maybe eq, delay?)

Please help me out :)

Some things to consider:

1) If you want to be able to record everything in your DAW on separate channels at the same time, you'll ned an audio interface with more inputs. Getting a mixer won't magically raise the number of inputs on the Focusrite, so your max simultaneous input channels will still be the same.

2) Most modern analog mixers are very transparent. They rarely color anything in any significant way unless they're broken.

3) The built-in FX in mixers are usually pretty awful, non-controllable or both. I'd rather get a mixer with a bunch of aux buses and a few select pieces of outboard fx.

4) Most home studio setups don't really benefit much from mixers these days, if the DAW is your main working environment. If it's for a live setting, especially a computerless one, then it's different.

Back