What CPU should I buy?

Tomasmccann

deadmau5's butler
I run Windows 7 with an SSD, 8gb ram and a GTX650 2gb graphics card with 3 monitors.

CPU currently is AMD Phenom II X4 945.

Having FL studio with more than one Serum and iZotope Ozone VSTs + multiple unisons strains the CPU too much even at the highest buffer size, my previews are often ruined by the heavy stuttering. Not to mention that big a buffer is pretty inconvenient for midi key input, it has to be decreased every time I need to record midi. My budget is $400. What CPU would you recommend?

Kind of hard to answer. I don't have much experience with AMD, but you need to take into account the socket on your motherboard and can you get a significant upgrade due to its specifications. I don't think the upgrade will be huge, but just doing some reading and searching you have a AM3 socket. Only upgrade I see is the AMD Phenom II x6.
ASRock > Support > CPU Support List

If you want more options you may need a newer motherboard. Which isn't really expensive imo just slightly raising your budget. I recommend the i7 4th and 5th gen processors, but that'll mean switching to intel. The processors should come in just under $400. If you switch make sure its a motherboard that supports your ram type DDR2 or DDR3? Also your PSU is compatible and meets requirements. I compared my current cpu which im happy with and had about two years to your current. I used serum and ozone as well.
http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i7-4770K-vs-AMD-Phenom-II-X4-945-95W

I also want to say that Serum is not light on resources and Ozone is a CPU hog with most CPU's. Ozone isn't really intended to run on a fully loaded project with various effects or soft synths. You can but it'll cost you more cpu usage.

Just wait for others to post who may possibly have better suggestions.

Back