What all can an audio interface do?

ThaCarterH

To start of I'll start with the equipment I have.
Turntable, speakers with banana plugs, toshiba laptop, bass guitar, and electric guitar, I plan on getting a mic, an mpc, and a couple synths and other analog equipment
My question is which of these can an audio interface handle? I know it'll allow me to record my bass and electric guitar and mic. Can I also connect my turntable to it? (It's an at lp120) and do all audio interfaces allow speakers to connect to them? And play audio from my laptop,tuntable,mpc, and other equipment? I'm a little lost when it comes to audio interfaces?
Also if you have any questions about audio interfaces feel free to ask it here so we can both get answers. Thanks!:victory:

One more stupid question. Do audio interfaces have analog output? (Or do some have it and some not?) I realize if there is a digital input it will come out digital but with an mpc and turntable will it come out analog?

It really all depends on what audio interface you're looking at. There's tons to choose from. The LP120 has line out so you can hook it up to any audio interface. Which MPC? If it's the renaissance it has and audio interface with preamps built in.

Okay then it's definitely not going to be the Renaissance! What price are you looking around? The more you pay generally the better the preamps, converters and versatility of the unit.

Some general things:

1) Most interfaces have analog inputs and outputs
2) Many interfaces have also digital i/o
3) Not many interfaces have a phono preamp for turntables, but these can be bought as separate units.

An interface:
Kills lag
Increases the amount of possible modules/effects that can be run at any given time
Stabilizes audio production
takes the workload off the cpu, the amount varies based on specs/quality of interface[ ur22/komplete audio/sapphire could make a 1ghz proc usable]
Reduces input delay to almost realtime input.

Most interfaces come with a daw as well.

Back