We need your help please!! blue screen everytime!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Collarix

Hey guys,

Me and my friend just got a Motu 828 mk2 Audio interface.

The soundcard works properly for about a few minutes and then the whole pc crashes. We're just starting to understand the basics of producing hardware and producing itself but we just don't know what's wrong..
The pc even crashes almost instantly when we start it up with the Motu already powered on.

What's the cause? i've got a screenshot of the bsod.. maybe you guys can see what's wrong.

We DESPERATLY need your help! This is holding us extremely far back from making music

foto (3).JPG

Have you installed some drivers to go with it?
Does your PC / MAC meet the requirements?
It could be PSU of your PC not handling that much power unless interface is self powered.
Hope I could help.

Have you installed some drivers to go with it?
Does your PC / MAC meet the requirements?
It could be PSU of your PC not handling that much power unless interface is self powered.
Hope I could help.

Just found out the motu is NOT self powered. We're going to buy a new power supply.

Any other suggestions anyone?

clock interrupt not being received means an irq (something i have not ever had to deal with as I came to pcs pretty much after these could be handled automatically) has not been set properly

without the motu plugged in install the drivers for it and try again

also an external usb powered hub would be a good investment just to connect it via

Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry for the noob questions but what's irq and how do we set it properly ? :p

and what will the usb powered hub do?

I would say there is no difference but then I am not an expert. I think USB is even better and no you don't have to set irq with the hub. (as long as it is powered)

Thanks for the help guys.

Sorry for the noob questions but what's irq and how do we set it properly ? :p

and what will the usb powered hub do?

irq = interrupt request this is part of the os. In earlier versions of windows and even in dos you needed to set them yourself to ensure that your hardware was attended to by the os in a timely manner, in some cases you had to set a specific irq channel not onoly for your card/interface but to change others as well to ensure minimum fuss. As I said this should have been set by the drivers

on your firewire issue (should have checked but most interfaces are USB, so reasonable to assume) - what are you using to connect it to your pc right now?

to algorythm, there is a big difference between USB and Firewire and each has different requirements for power and connectivity. I am unaware of firewire hubs.... but do reccomend that you have a separate firewire card rather than relying on MOBO cnnectivity (eliminates power concerns as well as ensuring that integration to the os is done via the cards drivers)

Last edited:
irq = interrupt request this is part of the os. In earlier versions of windows and even in dos you needed to set them yourself to ensure that your hardware was attended to by the os in a timely manner, in some cases you had to set a specific irq channel not onoly for your card/interface but to change others as well to ensure minimum fuss. As I said this should have been set by the drivers

on your firewire issue (should have checked but most interfaces are USB, so reasonable to assume) - what are you using to connect it to your pc right now?

to algorythm, there is a big difference between USB and Firewire and each has different requirements for power and connectivity. I am unaware of firewire hubs.... but do reccomend that you have a separate firewire card rather than relying on MOBO cnnectivity (eliminates power concerns as well as ensuring that integration to the os is done via the cards drivers)

Right now it's connected to a pcie adapter in our pc. There are firewire hubs but they are kinda pricey..

So our options atm are; Get a firewire (or usb) hub or buy a new PSU?

usb hub won't help: that was a flaw in my original answer as I did not check the connectivity of the motu first.....:hmmm:

I am not certain that it is a power issue either

what is the make of your pcie card? do you have the latest drivers for the os installed? sometimes you need to contact the people you bought it from to get access to the latest drivers as windows has no idea where to find them (I know this from recent experience with a USB 3 card: it powered up ok but could not function even in usb 2 or usb 1 mode as the drivers were not present to allow the card to work)

Remove the pcie card and test to see if the error remains

report your results

usb hub won't help: that was a flaw in my original answer as I did not check the connectivity of the motu first.....:hmmm:

I am not certain that it is a power issue either

what is the make of your pcie card? do you have the latest drivers for the os installed? sometimes you need to contact the people you bought it from to get access to the latest drivers as windows has no idea where to find them (I know this from recent experience with a USB 3 card: it powered up ok but could not function even in usb 2 or usb 1 mode as the drivers were not present to allow the card to work)

Remove the pcie card and test to see if the error remains

report your results

How will we test it without pcie? with USB?

you are testing whether there is still a blue screen of death when you turn the pc on nothing more or less: i.e. eliminate a probable cause and then know what to look for next

sadly this sort of remote help takes about 10 times as long to go through as doing it physically with you (I wouldn't have to wait for you to be awake etc, to go to the next step)

if the card is not the source of the problem, you may need to do a system restore to the last good working version of your system

a heads up: if teh last few steps and some others yet to be shared do not work, then be prepared to buy a new hard drive and rebuild your operating system from the ground up, application by application testing start-up after each new install- this way you can determine at which point the system becomes unstable and undo only the last install

you are testing whether there is still a blue screen of death when you turn the pc on nothing more or less: i.e. eliminate a probable cause and then know what to look for next

sadly this sort of remote help takes about 10 times as long to go through as doing it physically with you (I wouldn't have to wait for you to be awake etc, to go to the next step)

if the card is not the source of the problem, you may need to do a system restore to the last good working version of your system

a heads up: if teh last few steps and some others yet to be shared do not work, then be prepared to buy a new hard drive and rebuild your operating system from the ground up, application by application testing start-up after each new install- this way you can determine at which point the system becomes unstable and undo only the last install

The PC works perfectly without the card without crashing ever if that's what u mean. As soon as the soundcard is enabled it's a ticking time bomb.. Sometimes it works for a few minutes and sometimes it just crashes after a few seconds

get a better (i.e. not cheap) card or make sure you have the right drivers installed to begin with

from the descriptions so far, the issue is one of timing which suggests a processing bottleneck and subsequent failure to send the irq

not much more we can offer you I think

Older MOTU interfaces can be very picky about the FW chipset you're running - if you don't have a Texas instruments chipset, there are probably gonna be problems. That's probably the first thing I'd check here.

I used to have a Motu Ultralite - the first MkI version - and it simply wouldn't work right with the iMac I had back then, which had an Agere FW chipset. Sold it to a friend who had a slightly newer iMac (with a different chipset), and it's been rock solid for a few years now. These are annoying problems because basically there's no easy way to find out what's causing it...

Older MOTU interfaces can be very picky about the FW chipset you're running - if you don't have a Texas instruments chipset, there are probably gonna be problems. That's probably the first thing I'd check here.

I used to have a Motu Ultralite - the first MkI version - and it simply wouldn't work right with the iMac I had back then, which had an Agere FW chipset. Sold it to a friend who had a slightly newer iMac (with a different chipset), and it's been rock solid for a few years now. These are annoying problems because basically there's no easy way to find out what's causing it...

Thanks man, we bought a cheaper kind of firewire card without knowing about chipsets. We'll try a TI chipset card :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back