Vinyl?

DiscoPharmacy

Hello. I have a CL1 steinberg USB interface, i just wanted to know if it would be worth buying a vinyl record player that i could connect to my USB interface? I mostly just wanna use it for listening to music.

Disco Pharmacy:D

If you want to listen to music, why do you need computer?, but yes you can connect it to interface from preamp I think (I can mine). Also you can look at usb turntables.

Yes; debatable of course (for thousands and thousands of hours). But while "fidelity" as an abstract is better on CD's, vinyl generally has a much better dynamic range (due to mostly being exempt from the "loudness wars," as opposed to CD's and digital files, which are compressed and limited to the miggety-max).

I think what PTheP means, though, is that you don't necessarily need an interface and a computer to listen to music from your turntable...

GJ

vinyl vs cd dynamic range is a hard area to quantify - there are horrible examples of the same form of loudness wars on vinyl from the 70's, most notably the heavy rock genres, but for the most part the medium acted to help us avoid the worst of these excesses - too much energy in a track could cause the playback needle to jump out of the groove, let alone the cutting lathe to fail in cutting the grooves in the acetate.

When not compressed beyond belief, cd affords a much larger dynamic range than vinyl (96db for cd, 60db for vinyl at the best possible cutting approach)

Yes; debatable of course (for thousands and thousands of hours). But while "fidelity" as an abstract is better on CD's, vinyl generally has a much better dynamic range (due to mostly being exempt from the "loudness wars," as opposed to CD's and digital files, which are compressed and limited to the miggety-max).

I think what PTheP means, though, is that you don't necessarily need an interface and a computer to listen to music from your turntable...

Well, im kinda on a low budget and i would probably need a amp for it, so i tought maybe just connect it to my USB interface and my KRK rokit 5 cause that's all i have.
I was over at my friends house and we went trough his fathers vinyl collection and listen to some records from the 80's and i felt like i could notice it sounded more "there" or maybe it was just me. He said if i wanted a vinyl player, his father probably could hook me up with a good deal, so here i am wondering if it would be worth it.

I don't think you could plug phono out from vinyl to line in from interface (I suppose that interface doesn't have phono in), it wouldn't work. And if vinyl has line out than you can connect at any computer speakers.

without the RIAA equalisation curve circuit, you would be having issues with getting the vinyl player to actually reproduce accurately (no lows and lots of highs)

so, yeah finding an interface or amplifier that has this built in is important

Here are a variety of price points on phono preamps that you could come out of before going into a line-in on your interface. Whether $79-$150 is a "good deal" to you, versus just buying a decent home stereo set-up from your friend's father? That's up to you...

GJ

Last edited:
Back