Using a USB mic with a different audio interface.... How does that work?

FrankTheAnvil

I'm not used to using things that are connected via USB. Any mic I've ever used has been hooked into the input jack on my interface (or in the old days, the mic jack on my multitrack). I'm getting ready to record some vocals and the only mic I own is a cheap crappy dynamic mic that is basically subpar clone of the Shure SM58 (I sold all my decent mics when I was broke and needy). My friend however has a condenser mic that only has a USB connection and I've used it at his place and it sounds better than my dynamic. At his place he had it hooked up to a mac using Garageband and it was his only interface. I'm on Windows and use Reaper and I was wondering if I'm able to use this mic and my interface simultaeously or am I going to have to keep switching back and forth between the mic interface and my other one? Anyone with experience on this please let me know. Thanks in advance.

What brand and model? You might need a "driver" (a little program specific to the device that lets your computer recognize it). Plug it in and see if it shows up on your list of available input devices in Reaper. Alternatively, I believe you could buy a USB to audio converter and plug it into a normal XLR input...

GJ

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. The mic is a Blue Yeti USB. For some reason the driver won't install correctly on my computer so I'm just gonna say F-it and go with the dynamic. I was probably going to end up doing some lo-fi processing anyway so I'll just work with what I have.

Should just be a case of box-ticking in the audio/midi settings section of your DAW.
I'd shy away from USB mics tho...

Back