Using Softsynths Through A Wah Pedal

jacksons123

Hello FP! I've was just gifted a Crybaby wah pedal, and I was hoping to route my softsynth VSTs (in FL Studio, or Ableton Live) through the pedal back into the DAW. I currently have a 1/4" cable going from the output of my Focusrite Scarlett 18i20, into the pedal's input and from the pedal's output to the mic-in on the interface. This does not work, is there a problem with this chain as it stands or could it be a broken link (e.g. a cable, or the pedal itself). I apologize for the lengthy post but any form of help will be greatly appreciated.

No problem with the chain as such, but guitar pedals expect guitar-level signals, and you're feeding it line-level. Generally you'd need a reamping unit (that changes line level back to guitar/bass level)...but unless you've somehow managed to fry the whole Crybaby (let's hope not), you should get some kind of a signal through (also make sure you've switched your interface's inputs to "inst". Verify that the cables are functional first.

Last edited:
Oh...Lucky you! What a beautiful gift:-)
What krushing said. You may also want to check if the Cry Babie's Battery is still good. To access the battery simply remove the rubber stands at the bottom. You don't even need a screwdriver. Just rotate the rubberstands themselves.

Also remember that a lot of sounds coming out of soft synths are stereo. In that case you would only wah one side, or one side after the other, which could also give some crazy effects.
Good luck:-)

Back