Using a MIDI controller with an iPad

DimensionX

Hi there,

I've been looking into sampler/sequencers like the Octatrack and Electribes to perform progressive/experimental electronic music with lots of sound design with synths, I also like to pitch shift/time stretch drum samples etc.

I've seen Cubasis, Auria and FL studio mobile but Im wondering can you use a MIDI controller (like an MAudio Axiom 25) to control every parameter? (being a ableton user who can simply plugin a midi controller to a laptop and assign the buttons/keys to wherever in the daw is what I'm used to so it got me thinking, why don't i just get an iPad and midi controller? That way at least ill have a larger screen to work on between synths, samples and sequencing instead of working in a crazy workflow like the octatrack, or is this not possible with iPads?

Thank you.
Best

You can use a MIDI controller if it supports iOS - many of the newer/smaller ones do. You'll most likely need the Apple Camera Connection kit to hook it up (unless you go with a Lightning-capable controller like the iRig Keys) & possible a powered USB hub if the keyboard is bus powered.

Back