USB Hub That supports external harddrives Help searching

Cesar Calderon

Hey guys i work on mac book pro. Do any of you know any USB hub that supports External Harddrive? I bought like two already and they are crap. i need more Usb ports. If you have any suggestion just let me know thanks. 3.0 USB better. 2.0 too as long as it supports external HD I am good. Thanks.

They are crap .... You need more USB ports?

1) Your usb ports on your computer or laptop might well not all be the same. There's now a difference between usb3 or 2, but also, there can be a difference in power.

(The USB 1.x and 2.0 specifications provide a 5 V supply on a single wire to power connected USB devices.A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0.)

There might also be USB ports on your laptop that will have the correct voltage, but a little bit less ampere (or exactly the other way around, can't exactly remember).

So, if you connect your hub to one of the lesser ports, and you hook up a power heavy machine that is usb powered, the whole setup will struggle.

2) Not enough usb ports is something you pick your hub on. That is not something that makes it suck, that is something you have control over by picking the right one for your needs.

My advice:
1) make sure you connect your hub to the best usb port you have available on your computer or laptop.
2) you could choose a usb hub that is wall powered. It'll have a seperate cable running wall socket. That way, you'll be sure it has enough power.

Other then that, usb hubs should be able to power external HDs. You could also check for a HD that is wall socket powered.
You do end up with being dependable to wall sockets again, which isn't necessary. You should carefully pick your equipment to be able to run on usb power if wall socket dependance is something you don't like.

interested in where you got those numbers as my reading of the older spec for USB 2.0 has always been that a single port must supply 2A @ 5V (i.e. 10W); when you look at some of the devices that require usb hub power, this is confirmed (500mA@5V = 2.5W nowhere near enough to fulfil the power requirements of some external devices)

It's always been recommended not to put HD or sound cards on hubs because you want the least latency on both of them. It's best to put HD's/interfaces on a usb slot put everything else on a hub. I'm in the same positions ran out of slots for my iLok key going to get a hub today.

Last edited:
You can get most of the info of this link:
USB.org - USB Power Delivery

The piece of text I got from this link
How USB charging works, or how to avoid blowing up your smartphone | ExtremeTech

Getting a wall powered Hub will help.

Akasa Interconnect Pro 5S will directly connect to your motherboard and supply 5 usb 3 ports. It'll sit in the floppy disk drive and you need to power it through your PSU.

Other then that, take a look at this list:
https://tweakers.net/categorie/307/...SZXCOlonT9ZAsyNQtM71-xhRpR1ozFFhaqpfgZpIsQYHw

All socket powered usb 3 hubs.

I doubt the amount of latency added by the hub is substantial enough to notice anything. I have 3 keyboards, a novation remote, pad control and mouse all hooked up to an Icudu wall socket powered usb hub, no problem on latency whatsoever. If on any device I should notice latency it'd be the midi keyboards or the mouse playing first person shooters.
Could be an A/I would suffer more, but I'd say , test it! :D
The HD, well, I'd bet you won't notice a difference with a usb 3 external hd hooked directly to a motherboard usb connector or to one of those usb 3 hubs i just linked.

Back