Upgrade from KRK 5 Rokit

Alright, having the KRK 5 now for a good while, I'm slowly looking at what to aim for in upgrading.

Phuk3d Up D3ranged has helped me a great deal so far. From reading theory and what Phuked up told me , I'm looking at a few options.

- Get an active sub with a bypass footswitch and get a latching footswitch. Sub like the Cerwin Vega XD8s, or the Presonus Temblor T10. That way, I'll take away the shabby bass from my KRKs and have a better general representation. This being the cheapest solution for now.

- Get passive monitors. In this case, in this price range, apparently, getting passive bookshelves don't differ from passive actual monitors.
Passive bookshelfs like the Polk Audio RTiA3, Focal Chorus 706 or 705, Cambridge Audio Aero 2.
With this option, I'd need an amp. Budget option being the Alesis R150, better options being the Samson servo. Crest, Crown and QSC are good amps as well as far as I've read.

Question/issue:
If I buy an active sub now, I might render it obsolete as in the future I'd probably be going over to proper bookshelfs.
With passive subwoofers, I don't see that they have those footswitches or bypass option. Nor do I see a crossover or bypass function on the amps I mentioned. I want the bypass function. This to hear how the mix sounds without a sub, also , there might be times I can't run the sub. I don't want to be crawling into the corner where the sub sits and dialing knobs that are unconveniently sitting on the back of the sub.
So how do I go about?
Are there passive subs that come with a bypass function? Or have their knobs sitting on the front?
Are there amps that have an option that you can arrange the crossover there? Or bypass?

Last edited:
Alright, for actives, came down to these. Gonna be hard to get one store that has em all, can any of you tell me anything about these monitors?

Yamaha HS8
Mackie MR8mk3
Fostex PM841
Tannoy reveal 802
JBL LSR2325P
Focal alpha 80

Last edited:
Back